none
Error on Starting Workflow

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have created a list workflow in SharePoint Designer 2013 and I'm running on SharePoint Online. I set the workflow setting to be started manually and have successfully run the workflow for one list item for more than 40 times (testing the workflow). However when I created a new item and run the workflow it gives me this error message: Something went wrong. To try again, reload the page and then start the workflow. However, the workflow is actually running since there's a workflow step of sending a notification email to user and the email is actually sent. But I cannot monitor the workflow for that item since when I right click the item, select workflow, it says there's no workflow running. I'm really confused....

The solution I found on the Internet is to restart the Service Bus Gateway and Service Bus Manager Broker services. I don't know how to do that since I'm running on SharePoint Online.

Please help

Thank you

Niken

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Everyone,

I rerun the workflow the next morning in the office and it worked as it should be! It seems that  I need to join the corporate network when initiating the workflow.

Thanks

Niken

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:55 AM
  • Yes. From SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint online you can`t send an email outside network accounts. In SharePoint online the receiver should be at least a contact. 
    • Edited by Konjeti Venkat Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by nikenid Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by nikenid Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:29 AM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:29 AM
  • Hi nikenid,

Since your issue is solved, Please remember to mark your reply as an answer.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Hi Konjeti,

When I encountered the problem I have signed in to the SharePoint Online using my corporate account using public internet. When manually run the workflow I got an error message above but the workflow is actually running (since email was sent out to user)...but I cannot monitor the workflow because when I right click the list item and select workflow, there's no workflow running.

It's confusing because it says no workflow running, but actually it's still running. The only way to terminate the workflow is by deleting the item.

I guess I need to test whether the user can access the list whenever they are outside corporate network (without connecting to corporate VPN). If users need to connect to the VPN, I don't see the benefit of using SharePoint Online..

Thanks & Regards

Niken

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hello Niken,

What i can understand from your comments you are not able to trace your workflow that Is it ran fine or does any error occured..

Inside the workflows you can use alerts like sending emails for tracking the workflow at various steps and may i request you to know that at the end of the workflow did you used "End of workflow" at the very last stage so that it will then end from functioning.

Below are the detailed steps for the same

How to end a SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow

1. In SharePoint Designer 2013, create a SharePoint 2013 workflow.
    2. Click to place the cursor in the Transition to stage section of the last stage of the workflow.
    3. Click Workflow => Insert => Action, and then select Go to a stage from the drop-down menu that appears.
    4. Click a stage in the workflow action you just added, and select End of Workflow from the drop-down list box that appears. The workflow action should now say: 

Go to End of Workflow

Also regarding the office 365 account accessibilty, you don't need to connect through any VPN, it is accessible over the internet from anywhere.

I hope that I answered your question

Please marked my reply as an answer if you find it useful.

Thanks

Alok Gupta

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Hi nikenid, 

Only after you have configured workflow manager that you can create a SharePoint 2013 platform workflow in SharePoint designer. 

So to restart the Service Bus Gateway and Service Bus Manager Broker services, navigate to the server where you installed workflow manager, open windows services, restart the Service Bus Gateway and Service Bus Manager Broker services. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:25 AM