Installation failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using a program (Satmap xpedition planner) that requires silverlight for several years.  Recently, when trying to use the program I have been told to load silverlight although it is already loaded.  I have deleted the loaded version and attempted to install silverlight again starting from the silverlight page.  It starts to load but stops at 99% with the message Unable to install - installation failed.  The operating system on my computer is Windows 7.  I have not been able to find any posting similar to this with a comprehensible answer.  Please advise.
    Monday, July 10, 2017 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

First, please check the system requirement for Silverlight on this page.

As yours is windows 7, I’ve highlighted supported version with corresponding IE browser.

If it meets the system requirements, then please keep on the following steps.

Please try to clean the corrupted Silverlight installation first, and then reinstall Silverlight.

Here is the tool which could help to automatically uninstall Microsoft Silverlight.

Please uninstall it and reinstall it again.

If the installation fails again, please refer to strategy below:

The install failure in your side could be related to the permissions of some directories.

1. extract silverlight.exe to a local folder, e.g.d:\silverlight\

2. give full control rights to everyone and your local account with d:\silverlight\silverlight.msp

3. double click d:\silverligjht\install.exe to install it,

To get specific information of this issue and more details for troubleshooting, please see this thread , refer to the op's(@Mister_TBD or Jim)solution.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Fletch Zhou Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:14 AM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:30 AM
  • I don't see why Microsoft can't get things right, I have tried everything even the troubleshooter is telling me that the silverlight it downloaded was corrupt, get things right, I don't care to use any of this stuff anymore. As a corporation that provides products and services, you should not have to rely on users to fix your problems. I hope that there is a solution to this problem or a fix is on the way.

Guy

• Edited by ShwaGuy Sunday, December 10, 2017 4:34 PM
    Sunday, December 10, 2017 4:33 PM