none
Discrepancy Between FSSHTTP specs and sharepoint response for GetDocMetaInfo proeprties RRS feed

• Question

• For ease of understanding lets take example of VTI_FILESIZE:

As per text from section 2.2.4 in FPSE specs (Please note that FSSHTTP uses the FPSE metadata specs), "The metabase uses the colon character to separate the metakey name from the data type. Next, the pipe ("|") character is used to separate the datatype from the metakey value"

For eg: vti_filesize;IX|1120

Here, vti_filesize is key, IX is datatype and 1120 is value i.e. size of the file.

However, the sharepoint server SOAP response looks like this (I have grabbed this from Fiddler):

<SubResponse SubRequestToken="4" ErrorCode="Success" HResult="0">
    <SubResponseData>
    <DocProps>
    <Property Key="vti_stickycachedpluggableparserprops" Value="Subject TaxKeywordTaxHTField Keywords _Status PublishingExpirationDate PublishingStartDate TaxKeyword vti_title _Author _Category ContentType ContentTypeId _Comments Comments TaxCatchAll"/>
    <Property Key="vti_etag" Value="&quot;{A2B9C3A4-A1DD-4C17-93EB-2F9F5DFC78C4},19&quot;"/>
    <Property Key="vti_filesize" Value="1120"/>

Meaning, the format of vti_filesize does not look as per specs. Can you advise which format is correct?

• Edited by Veera P Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:42 AM
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Veera, 

After reviewing this, the wording in [MS-FPSE]2.2.4 also states, 

"The metabase (consisting of a series of metakeys, or FrontPage Server Extension settings and
    properties) can be found in the _VTI_CNF folder beneath each folder on the server in the default file.
    The metabase uses the colon character to separate the metakey name from the data type. Next, the
    pipe ("|") character is used to separate the datatype from the metakey value. A metakey consists of a
    single line within the default file."

The reason I say this is that the metabase uses the format mentioned (key;type|value) but the responses in HTML mode have LI or list separators instead of ; separators. Similarily, the FSSHTTP responses are in SOAP. Therefore the reference to FPSE is not necessarily to imply that the format used in the metabase is what FSSHTTP conforms to. But instead that the properties listed and their meanings are what is being used.

Does this help?

Tom

• Marked as answer by Veera P Friday, February 9, 2018 8:17 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hey Veera,

Thanks for the question on FSSHTTP. I'll be investigating this and will get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo 
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications Support

Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:59 PM
  • Hi Veera, 

After reviewing this, the wording in [MS-FPSE]2.2.4 also states, 

"The metabase (consisting of a series of metakeys, or FrontPage Server Extension settings and
    properties) can be found in the _VTI_CNF folder beneath each folder on the server in the default file.
    The metabase uses the colon character to separate the metakey name from the data type. Next, the
    pipe ("|") character is used to separate the datatype from the metakey value. A metakey consists of a
    single line within the default file."

The reason I say this is that the metabase uses the format mentioned (key;type|value) but the responses in HTML mode have LI or list separators instead of ; separators. Similarily, the FSSHTTP responses are in SOAP. Therefore the reference to FPSE is not necessarily to imply that the format used in the metabase is what FSSHTTP conforms to. But instead that the properties listed and their meanings are what is being used.

Does this help?

Tom

• Marked as answer by Veera P Friday, February 9, 2018 8:17 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 2:36 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. It has clarified my doubt.

Regards,

Veera.

Friday, February 9, 2018 8:18 AM