none
UWF Commit All?

Question

• Is there a way to commit all UWF changes in the overlay? For example, if IT was to install some drivers and programs, I would like to be able to commit all changes, similar to what EWF does. Is this possible? Looking at the docs and from some experimenting, it looks like that we can only commit changes on a per file and registry basis? If so, this seems a bit excessive, especially if you do not know what files were changed.

Thanks for the help

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 11:20 PM

All replies

• No. It is the same issue with FBWF. One possibility is to use the overlay detail to get the information for the individual file commits.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:54 AM
  • No. It is the same issue with FBWF. One possibility is to use the overlay detail to get the information for the individual file commits.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thanks Sean..

So, it looks like EWF might be a better fit then since there is really no way of tracking all possible 'file changes' and committing this way.

I was able to get all the files int he overlay using WMI, but looking at the docs, they actually do not recommend using it for this purpose:

The GetOverlayFiles method is intended to be used as a diagnostic tool.

Do not base decisions about what to commit based on this method’s output.

In addition, it looks like the overlay list may not be as accurate:

• Files that were committed with the uwfmgr.exe file commit command are also contained in the overlay files list.
    • Excluded files may be contained in the overlay files list.
    • Files that are smaller than the cluster size (for example, 4 KB in most cases) will not be listed even if they are cached in overlay.
    • Changes and deletions in excluded directories, excluded files, or excluded registry items add to overlay usage.

• Edited by moncadad Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:52 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:50 PM
  • I guess a feature for MS to add is a commit all.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 10:11 PM
  • in our systems (web 1800 pc all around the world) we built an utility that for any setup do the following things:

- write a .bat file with the setup name

- add the bat to registry / runonce

- disable write filter

- reboot

- when the system start up the bat file is launched and in order do:

-  install silently the program or driver

- enable write filter

- reboot

Michele Massari Senior Developer & DB Admin

Friday, May 18, 2018 10:35 AM
  • Isn't this what "servicing mode" was designed to do?

With UWF you don't really want to do a commit all, when you look at the list of files it generates with a simple utility, you see a lot of them are last-access timestamp touches and big bad system things like $MFT

In theory, you could powershell this, since you know what to look for, you could do:

• for all files in the list from getoverlayfiles,
    •     if this file looks like it is my fault, add it to the commit list.
    • for the commit list, commit each one.

I expect it would be very sedate though.

=^x^=

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:22 AM