Programmatically checking if user has any documents that failed to upload in the Upload Center RRS feed

• Question

• Our users edit Word 2010 and Excel 2010 documents stored in SharePoint 2010.  Occasionally, they encounter files that fail to upload.  The Microsoft Upload Center does show a listing of documents that failed to upload but the prompt is very small such that the user misses it.

I'm trying to find a way to check if there are any files that have failed to upload when the user logs in or alternatively make the pop-up bigger so that the user is alerted to the issue.

I tried to look up on documentation for MSOSYNC.EXE and MSOUC.EXE but haven't had any luck.  I do see that the MSOUC.EXE uses Office Document Cache which stores a list of FSD and FSF files but I haven't figured a way to programmatically find out if which files have failed to upload.

• Moved by L.Hl Monday, April 27, 2015 3:02 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2015 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Max,

Per my understanding, you might want to show a notable alert to users when there is file fails to upload after editing in Office Client desktop application.

Because the file uploaded from client machine to a server is handled by Microsoft Office Upload Center, a possible workaround is to query the log of it programmatically to see if there is any related information about the failed uploading files, then create a custom application in client machine for the notification.

However, there seems no exposed API to enable developer to work with Microsoft Office Upload Center programmatically at this moment, thus, I would suggest you submit a feedback to the Office Developer Platform if there any expectation about the future version of Office API:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com/  

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Thanks 

Patrick Liang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Dennis Guo Monday, May 4, 2015 2:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Patrick_Liang Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:57 AM

All replies

• The Excel or Word object model doesn't provide anything for that.

You may also try asking such questions on the SharePoint 2013 - Development and Programming forum.

Friday, April 24, 2015 2:12 PM
  • Hi Max Jayapaul,

This forum is discussing about Office developing like related questions like VSTO, VBA, Apps for Office and .etc. Your issue is more related with SharePoint, I will move this thread to the more related forum.

Reference: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sharepointdevelopmentprevious

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 27, 2015 2:36 AM
  • Hi Max,

Per my understanding, you might want to show a notable alert to users when there is file fails to upload after editing in Office Client desktop application.

Because the file uploaded from client machine to a server is handled by Microsoft Office Upload Center, a possible workaround is to query the log of it programmatically to see if there is any related information about the failed uploading files, then create a custom application in client machine for the notification.

However, there seems no exposed API to enable developer to work with Microsoft Office Upload Center programmatically at this moment, thus, I would suggest you submit a feedback to the Office Developer Platform if there any expectation about the future version of Office API:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com/  

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Thanks 

Patrick Liang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Dennis Guo Monday, May 4, 2015 2:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Patrick_Liang Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:57 AM
  • Thank you Patrick, Eugene and Edward for your suggestions.  I will submit a feedback to the Office Developer Platform.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:49 PM