Database Mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I want to know how the transactions are actually moved from principle to the mirror server in a Mirroring setup. I have read about mirroring endpoints, but some how I am not able to figure out how the transactions are taken to the mirror server and how do thy get applied onto the Mirror server.

Like in log shipping we have jobs, in replication we have agents... what do we have in Mirroring

Thanks...

Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply... :)

In the table 9 : it says

"  The transaction log buffer is written to disk (hardened),
        the block of log records is sent to the mirror
        and  the principal records the log block's mirroring_failover_lsn
        and the principal waits for confirmation from the mirror  "

I want to know how the log records are sent to the mirror... how Mirroring endpoint plays a role here.. if it does?

Thanks...

Log records are sent  to mirror via network which is connecting both primary and mirror database ,it can be dedicated lease line or LAN or WAN .

Endpoints are used as mode of communication between principal and mirror .The servers involved in the database mirroring session must trust each other. For local communication such as a domain, trusting means that each SQL Server instance login must have rights to connect to the other mirroring server, and do its endpoints. You establish this first by using the CREATE LOGIN command on each server, followed by the GRANT CONNECT ON ENDPOINT command.
    For communication across non-trusted domains, you must use certificates. If you use the CREATE CERTIFICATE statement to create a self-signed certificate, most of the database mirroring certificate requirements will be met. You must also make sure that the certificate is marked ACTIVE FOR BEGIN_DIALOG in the CREATE CERTIFICATE statement.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Below doc gives detailed explanation look for section

Table 9: A Safety FULL (Synchronous transfer) example sequence of events.

Table 10: A Safety OFF (Asynchronous transfer) example sequence of events.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917680.aspx

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

I want to know how the log records are sent to the mirror... how Mirroring endpoint plays a role here.. if it does?

Thanks...

Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks...

Log records are sent  to mirror via network which is connecting both primary and mirror database ,it can be dedicated lease line or LAN or WAN .

Endpoints are used as mode of communication between principal and mirror .The servers involved in the database mirroring session must trust each other. For local communication such as a domain, trusting means that each SQL Server instance login must have rights to connect to the other mirroring server, and do its endpoints. You establish this first by using the CREATE LOGIN command on each server, followed by the GRANT CONNECT ON ENDPOINT command.
    For communication across non-trusted domains, you must use certificates. If you use the CREATE CERTIFICATE statement to create a self-signed certificate, most of the database mirroring certificate requirements will be met. You must also make sure that the certificate is marked ACTIVE FOR BEGIN_DIALOG in the CREATE CERTIFICATE statement.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Yes.. this answers my query...

thanks a lot

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:26 PM