C++ Metro Application/DirectX Access Is Denied when loading a file

Question

• So just got this developer preview of VS11 express and running on the development preview of windows 8 trying to create a metro style c++ sound application. works great when using the samples provided (Groove). But when I am trying to load my own file I just get access is denied. I set all the capabilities in the manifest file that are available, still access denied. I move the file in to the project, set that is the part of the content. Still Access denied.

BTW i can play it fine in media player. Ok it is a development preview but this is a basic thing that does not work. And BTW I never got a windows that asked me to allow the application to use my documents folder when I set that option in the manifest file.

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Monday, September 19, 2011 5:48 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:09 AM

All replies

• There are specialized forum for Windows 8 preview and VS11, one of them is about C++, you may want to have a look: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsapps
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hello,

I will help you to move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Could you point me to the SDK sample you were using? If it wasn't a sample, could you post the snippet of code where the Access Denied error occurs as well as the relevant manifest capabilities (right-click the manifest in Solution Explorer and select View Code). It would help to know the file type and where the file is located for me to try to repro the error.

Thanks,

-David

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:10 AM