none
Cannot edit mail after opened menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all together,

we developed an Outlook 2010 add-in in C# and are experiencing a real wierd behaviour on two computers when writing new/editing mails:
    After you opened a menu in a winform you cannot write any text in a new inspector window. You have to restart Outlook before you can write text in the body of a mail.
    Same effect occurs in Word as well.

We created an C# add-in from the scratch (Visual Studio 2010 Pro) which has a single button in a ribbon. With this button you can open a nearly empty dialog (winform). This dialog contains a menu with submenu only.
    When i click on the button in the ribbon, my winform dialog is shown. Then i open and close the menu via mouse. After i returned to my mail window i cannot write new text nor i can edit the existing text.
    The error occurs with this add-in in Word 2010 too.

We checked the ProtectionType of the inspector like deskribed here (http://bit.ly/YRaCSQ) but without luck. Outlook says that the mail still is unprotected.
    Spy++ shows no difference in window style or address of window proc. It also shows (via menu "Spy" and "Log Messages") that the edit field receives the keyboard messages.

Envorinment:
    - Windows 7 (x64) and Outlook 2010 (x64)
    - Windows 8 (x64) and Outlook 2010 (x86)

I couldn't find a solution in the internet. Everyone says that a new Outlook profile should do the trick, but unfortunately it doesn't.
    Does someone have had a similar problem or a hint to us?

If someone is interested i can send the sample project via pm/mail.
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:31 PM Outlook-specific (From:General Office Development)
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:31 PM

All replies

• You can upload your project to skydrive and share it so that the community members can download directly.

Regards,
    Fermin
    What's life without whimsy?

Friday, December 7, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Link for sample project as sugested :-)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=80141c47a364e3d2&page=self&resid=80141C47A364E3D2!114&parid=80141C47A364E3D2!105&authkey=!&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&Bsrc=Share

Additional Info:

I tried to solve the problem by uninstalling Office and reinstall it, but nothing changed. The error is still there.

Does someone know of some registry keys i could check?

Friday, December 7, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Hi Alexander,

How is everything going?

I've tried your code, but cannot reproduce your scenario. It works fine on my side. I can edit the email no matter the form is opening or been closed. 

Do you have some other add-ins installed? Try to disable all the other add-ins and take a try.

HTH.

Regards,
    Fermin

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Too bad that you couldn't reproduce the problem but i thought so. It's a really rare problem...

By the way: Did you open and close the menu of the shown dialog within your test? If not please try. It was the only way to reproduce the error. In short: Open dialog from ribbon, open and close the menu of the dialog by mouse clicks in this dialog, click to your word document/email window and try to write in it.
    Meanwhile we discovered that you can write in your document/email (again) when you open the menu by mouse and close it with ESC or the form loses its focus. (i.e. when you click on your document/email while the menu is still open)

I checked the computers of my company and only one computer showed the error which our customer has. It is a Windows 8 which was upgraded from Windows 7. Office wasn't reinstalled.
    Our customer uses Windows 7 with freshly installed Office 2010, after he uninstalled Office 2003.

On the computer in our company are no other add-ins than our sample, but we didn't try a safe start of Outlook. Although i don't think that this will work, because our add-in won't be visible then too...

Friday, December 14, 2012 12:31 PM
  • Yes.

After the winForm opened up, I clicked the file menu and doOne doTwo button. Then I closed the winForm dialog. Make the inspector window have the focus, then I can edit the mail, nothing unusual happened. 

BTW, I'm uisng Windows 7 (x64) and Outlook 2010 (x86).

Regards,
    Fermin

Friday, December 14, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Sad, but i thought so. :-(

I am using Win7 (x64) and OL2010 (x86) too. And likewise don't have any problems with it.

Hope someone has another idea where to look in windows depths.
    But thanks for taking a look on my problem, Fermin!

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:55 PM