Migrating Sybase/HP UX to Ms Sql/Rhel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to migrate several databases from Sybase to MSSql/Rhel 7.

I installed Sybase Client on the target server and I bcp out from Sybase and bcp in to MS SQL.

Since the table contains no hebrew, everything is fine. I tried to modify the default code page on the Linux machine with no success, also tried different collations. I think that the problem comes from the MS bcp utility, does it mean that I will have to use a third part tool for specific tables ?

I made several tests using nchar or nvarchar data types with no success.

This is a huge project involving dozens of databases, but I cannot bypass the hebrew issue.

Monday, December 18, 2017 3:15 PM

All replies

• I got a quite dirty work-around  :

I installed a MS Sql server on my PC and I added 2 linked servers, one toward the Sybase server and the other toward the Linux Sql server.

Inserting from one to the other works perfect but I wonder about performances.

insert  ULSQLTST01.maindb.dbo.zion_test select * from UHPTST02_LS.maindb.dbo.zion_test

Ideally I would prefer to perform the inserts directly from the target server, said, define s single linked server toward Sybase on the Linux server, but according to MS, this feature is still not available on this version.

I will start to perform performance tests to check out this solution.

Monday, December 18, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Hi ZionAssedo,

>>I think that the problem comes from the MS bcp utility, does it mean that I will have to use a third part tool for specific tables ?

What about using SSMA for Sybase, it’s provided by Microsoft to help you migrate database from Sybase to SQL Server, have you tried that? That way you don’t have to work with linked server(currently you cannot connect to non-SQL Server from SQL Server on linux) or bcp tool(-C switch is currently not supported on Linux).

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:29 AM
  • SSMA is a nice tool and I appreciate the efforts MS put in it, unfortunately I got something like 60 different databases (structure and data) to transfer. 

1) The tool must be scriptable

2) Too slow

3) The same issue occurs concerning hebrew 

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

Finally SSMA could transfer Hebrew characters, the issue was linked to the connection, previouly, I was using an ODBC connection and now I'm using an OLEDB connection.

However, I would be so pleased to use ODBC from Linux directly without suffering character alteration.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:50 AM