Session and Browser issue RRS feed

• Question

• User-1886006708 posted

Hello all,

We have a strange problem. We have migrated an application from ASP to ASP.Net.After the release we deployed the application on the server for the QA to test it. 

1 member of QA keeps on reporting a bug that does not appear/generate on any other PC. We have tried on different PC's but everything works fine.

Here is the scenerio.

He comes to the main page of the application and does nothing for 20 minutes. Session expires and when he logs in again and strange things starts happening different exceptions are thrown on random scenerios. As, this issue is not generating on anyone else PC so i assume that this is a Browser issue. 

My main question is: Are there any browser settings that might be different on his PC and are related to Session ? Or what can be the issue ?

Our application is made in VS 2010 C# 4.0. Sessions object is stored in SQLServer.

Regards,

Behroz Sikander

Monday, February 21, 2011 12:29 AM

Answers

• User-1886006708 posted

I have found the solution. Thank you all for helping.

There was an issue with the browser settings. The IE8 was caching the page and when ever session timeout was happening the browser was showing the same page from the cache. 

I followed the following URL to set the right property. I set the "Automatically" option in the Temporary files > settings menu of IE8. Before it was "Never".

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2037-internet-explorer-s-cache

Regards,

Behroz Sikander

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:30 AM

All replies

• User830400798 posted

Please clear the issue.

Your application can be run easily on another pc by write down the IP address of your local host attatched with url of ur application.

like http://ip address/abc.aspx

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:19 AM
  • User-2139489267 posted

He comes to the main page of the application and does nothing for 20 minutes. Session expires and when he logs in again and strange things starts happening different exceptions are thrown on random scenerios. As, this issue is not generating on anyone else PC so i assume that this is a Browser issue. 

As you said session expires and thus strange things happen. Default session timeout is 20 min, you can increase it however as per your requirement. You should check in your page for session is not nothing and if you find it nothing you can redirect user to login page.

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:20 AM
  • User-1886006708 posted
    The application is deployed on IIS on a separate server and everyone in the team accesses the server from the same address like http://srvName/WebSiteHostedAlias/
    Monday, February 21, 2011 2:04 AM
  • User-1886006708 posted

Actually when the Session expires the user is redirected to the Login Page. 

The problem only occurs on a single PC. The application is working fine every where else. 

Is just want to know that are there any browser related issues ?

Monday, February 21, 2011 2:08 AM
  • User1788895226 posted

Hi,

did u set the session expire time ?. check default session time out set in webconfig and some other files.

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:15 AM
  • User-1886006708 posted

I have found the solution. Thank you all for helping.

There was an issue with the browser settings. The IE8 was caching the page and when ever session timeout was happening the browser was showing the same page from the cache. 

I followed the following URL to set the right property. I set the "Automatically" option in the Temporary files > settings menu of IE8. Before it was "Never".

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2037-internet-explorer-s-cache

Regards,

Behroz Sikander

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:30 AM