none
In-App Purchases Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!  I just finished reviewing the tutorial for in-app purchases and it is very exciting.  The article left me with some unanswered questions that I'm hoping someone else can share their experiences with.

1) How are purchases of in-game currency, similar to Farmville, handled?  The licensing scheme is a true ("they bought it") or false ("they didn't buy") it system.  Will it allow multiple purchases with the same licensing key, i.e. where key is "10GameCredits"?

2) How secure is this system if the licensing system purchase validation is handled client side?  Is there a way to push a validation notification to a third-party server?  Essentially, my question is, how do I validate a transaction when the round-trip begins and ends with the client, and I need a way to externally validate the purchase?

Facebook has a feature rich credits API and I may be thinking of in-game purchases through this lens.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:26 AM

Answers

• Is this what you're looking for? "Making money with your apps...",

Scroll down to "Validating a purchase from your servers."

• Marked as answer by S Tonstad Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:11 PM
  • The store doesn't currently support consumable purchases, so there is no good way to do in-game currencies like you describe.

Please post spent questions in separate posts.  I'm not sure what you are asking in your second question: are you trying to sync the store purchases with an external purchasing system?

• Marked as answer by S Tonstad Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:13 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:55 PM

All replies

• The store doesn't currently support consumable purchases, so there is no good way to do in-game currencies like you describe.

Please post spent questions in separate posts.  I'm not sure what you are asking in your second question: are you trying to sync the store purchases with an external purchasing system?

• Marked as answer by S Tonstad Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:13 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Hi Rob.  Do we know if and when consumable purchases will be supported?  Is it on the road map? 

"Please post spent questions in separate posts." -- I am not sure what you are asking of me.  Would you like the second question in a separate post?  I am happy to move it, just let me know.  

The second question relates to security -- how do we externally validate that a purchase occurred.  For example, lets say someone unlocks a new feature.  From the client, I could then send a message to a cloud server saying that an item was purchased, but I have no way to authenticate that this purchase was real, and not a spoofed message.  If/when currency purchases are supported Microsoft will have to send an outbound post to a URL to provide secure acknowledgement of that purchase.  Otherwise, there is no way to verify the chain of communication from the user-controlled client which talks to Microsoft's store to a cloud server.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Is this what you're looking for? "Making money with your apps...",

Scroll down to "Validating a purchase from your servers."

• Marked as answer by S Tonstad Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Thanks Vin, this is exactly what I was looking for.
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:10 PM