Double[] values = new Double[] { 2.2, 2.3, 3.3, 4.1, 5.6 };

var Aggreg = new
            {
              Count = (from v in values
                 select v).Count(),
              Sum = (from v in values
                   select v).Aggregate((cnt, v) => cnt += v),
              Sum_Of_Squares = (from v in values
                   select v).Aggregate((cnt, v) => cnt +=+ Math.Pow(v,2))
            };

Console.WriteLine(Aggreg.Count);
          Console.WriteLine(Aggreg.Sum);
          Console.WriteLine(Aggreg.Sum_Of_Squares);

In the above code, Aggreg.Sum_Of_Squares is not correct. Please let me know why?

Please mark the post answered if it serves your query.
    Subhendu De
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:06 AM

Answers

• Hello subgendude,

Welcome back.  This is Jackie,   you  don’t  know  why it can’t show the correct answer. 

During I solve this issue,  I found that is the difference between Aggregate and Sum Functions.

The Aggregate function differs from numeric aggregate functions like Sum in that the Aggregate function returns a value that is calculated by the data provider or data processing extension. Numeric aggregate functions like Sum return a value that is calculated by the report processor on a set of data from the dataset that is determined by the scope parameter. For more information, see in the aggregate functions listed in Using Built-in Report and Aggregate Functions in Expressions.   

Based on your code, if you want to get sum of squares, you should use the Sum function, like this.

select v).Sum((v) => Math.Pow(v,2))

I hope this will help resolve your problem. If anything is unclear, please free feel to let us know.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Jackie Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 13, 2010 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hello subgendude,

Welcome back.  This is Jackie,   you  don’t  know  why it can’t show the correct answer. 

During I solve this issue,  I found that is the difference between Aggregate and Sum Functions.

The Aggregate function differs from numeric aggregate functions like Sum in that the Aggregate function returns a value that is calculated by the data provider or data processing extension. Numeric aggregate functions like Sum return a value that is calculated by the report processor on a set of data from the dataset that is determined by the scope parameter. For more information, see in the aggregate functions listed in Using Built-in Report and Aggregate Functions in Expressions.   

Based on your code, if you want to get sum of squares, you should use the Sum function, like this.

select v).Sum((v) => Math.Pow(v,2))

I hope this will help resolve your problem. If anything is unclear, please free feel to let us know.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Jackie Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 13, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hello Jackie...

Your solution rocks!!!

Thanks Buddy

Please mark the post answered if it serves your query.
    Subhendu De
    Monday, December 13, 2010 9:36 AM
  • You are welcome. 

It's my pleasure to help you.  If that helps you,  please remember to mark it as answer.

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Jackie Sun [MSFT]

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:14 AM
  • just use the prototype of the function will get correct result

public static TResult Aggregate<TSource, TAccumulate, TResult>(this IEnumerable<TSource> source, TAccumulate seed, Func<TAccumulate, TSource, TAccumulate> func, Func<TAccumulate, TResult> resultSelector) 

var Aggreg = new
            {
              Count = (from v in values
                 select v).Count(),
              Sum = (from v in values
                   select v).Aggregate((cnt, v) => cnt += v),
                   select v).Aggregate(0.0,(cnt, v) => cnt +=+ Math.Pow(v,2) ,r=>r*1.0)
            };

Monday, October 10, 2011 7:35 AM