none
Multiple Versions of .NET Framework - 1.1 and 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell I1501. It came loaded with .NET Framework 1.1. This is required for the ATI Graphics software. I recently updated the ATI Graphics Software and .NET Framework 2.0 was installed. The newest ATI Graphics is written for .NET Framework 2.0. Can I safely remove .NET Framework 1.1 and the Hotfix KB928366? When I try to remove the Hotfix it says that I have .NET Framework 2.0 and removing this may cause .NET Framework 2.0 to not function properly. I also have the 2.0 Hotfix KB928365 installed. In what order should I remove .NET Framework 1.1 and the Hotfix? Or should I NOT remove it at all ?  I was an IBM Systems/CICS Programmer for 36+ years and never wrote an application that was specific to a software version. Is this not true for .NET Framework applications? Seems like I am eating up the HD with unnecessary software :-)

Thanks for your patience with this OLD programmer.

Friday, October 19, 2007 6:19 PM

Answers

• .NET was quite straight forward but has become more and more complicated. I will try to give you an answer first and then a bit more why my answer can not be that exact.

First of all you must be sure that you have no other installed applications that require .NET 1.1. If you do not you should be able to uninstall it without affecting how your computer runs. .NET 2.0 does not require .NET 1.1 or any .NET 1.1 security patches to be installed. They work side by side. I would uninstall the security path first, checking the KB also mentions that it should be able to uninstall. Use control panel, add remove programs to do it.

One early goal was that major .NET versions would exist side by side and if you used an application built for 1.1 it would not be affected if you installed .NET 2.0 and an application that used it. There are ways to allow applications to run on other .NET versions than they were build for but in general a .NET application will require the version it was built for.

Since 3.0 this is not really true. 3.0 is more of an extension to 2.0 and can not be seen as a true .NET version. This is also the official statement from Microsoft. 3.0 requires and uses 2.0. If you use a .NET 3.0 application you must have 2.0 installed.

3.5 should be the next "full" release but what I have heard more than once is that the 3.5 setup also modified the 2.0 installation that would be a huge no-no with regards to side by side installation. Installing a later version should not break applications that rely on an earlier framework version, though it seem it has happened. I have not really followed up on this but here is a article I found about it.

http://community.devexpress.com/blogs/ctodx/archive/2007/07/31/system-data-breaking-changes-in-latest-net-framework-update.aspx

In general I would recommend NOT to uninstall unused .NET versions.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 12:49 AM
  •  

Thanks for the information. Seems that all I need to do is get a bigger HD :-). Wonder if MSFT has shares in some hardware company ??

Regards,

Bruce

Saturday, October 20, 2007 1:57 AM

All replies

• .NET was quite straight forward but has become more and more complicated. I will try to give you an answer first and then a bit more why my answer can not be that exact.

First of all you must be sure that you have no other installed applications that require .NET 1.1. If you do not you should be able to uninstall it without affecting how your computer runs. .NET 2.0 does not require .NET 1.1 or any .NET 1.1 security patches to be installed. They work side by side. I would uninstall the security path first, checking the KB also mentions that it should be able to uninstall. Use control panel, add remove programs to do it.

One early goal was that major .NET versions would exist side by side and if you used an application built for 1.1 it would not be affected if you installed .NET 2.0 and an application that used it. There are ways to allow applications to run on other .NET versions than they were build for but in general a .NET application will require the version it was built for.

Since 3.0 this is not really true. 3.0 is more of an extension to 2.0 and can not be seen as a true .NET version. This is also the official statement from Microsoft. 3.0 requires and uses 2.0. If you use a .NET 3.0 application you must have 2.0 installed.

3.5 should be the next "full" release but what I have heard more than once is that the 3.5 setup also modified the 2.0 installation that would be a huge no-no with regards to side by side installation. Installing a later version should not break applications that rely on an earlier framework version, though it seem it has happened. I have not really followed up on this but here is a article I found about it.

http://community.devexpress.com/blogs/ctodx/archive/2007/07/31/system-data-breaking-changes-in-latest-net-framework-update.aspx

In general I would recommend NOT to uninstall unused .NET versions.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 12:49 AM
  •  

Thanks for the information. Seems that all I need to do is get a bigger HD :-). Wonder if MSFT has shares in some hardware company ??

Regards,

Bruce

Saturday, October 20, 2007 1:57 AM