ListView drag and drog works only in mouse mode

Question

• Hi,

I have a ListView with CanDragItems and IsSwipeEnabled both equal to true, but the drag-and-drop only works when I use the mouse. According to msdn documentation the IsSwipeEnabled is what controls this behaviour for touch, but it is not working for me. Is there anything else I need to do? If it works in my laptop with a mouse the code must be correct, how come it doesn't work when I run the same code in my tablet? Any clues are very welcomed.

NFG.

NFG

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:24 AM

Answers

• Hi NFG,

I have following code that works fine with ListView drag and drop by touch, you could see what's difference between your code and mine.

<ListView HorizontalAlignment="Left" Height="297" Margin="212,118,0,0"
                      VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="373" CanDragItems="True" 
                      CanReorderItems="True" AllowDrop="True" >
                <ListViewItem Background="Azure"></ListViewItem>
            </ListView>

And in touch mode, you have to drag more distance to enter a drag and drop mode, otherwise you will stay at  Cross-slide.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by NFG Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi NFG,

I have following code that works fine with ListView drag and drop by touch, you could see what's difference between your code and mine.

<ListView HorizontalAlignment="Left" Height="297" Margin="212,118,0,0"
                      VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="373" CanDragItems="True" 
                      CanReorderItems="True" AllowDrop="True" >
            </ListView>

And in touch mode, you have to drag more distance to enter a drag and drop mode, otherwise you will stay at  Cross-slide.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by NFG Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:44 AM
  • Thanks, James.

The main difference between my ListView and your answer was that I am not using CanReorderItems because this was causing an issue with code I wanted to be executed when the drag starts. The CanReorderItems would not cause the event to be raised. Anyway with or without CanReorderItems it doesn't work. I finally found the culprit. I had added a Style that was essentially the default one used by ListViews minus a few effects I didn't want. As soon as I removed the Style attribute, drag-and-drop started to work also for touch mode. I have probably commented out something in the default style that was required by the drag-and-drop. As it was just a minor cosmetic issue I will simply stay with the unmodified default style.

Thanks for your answer.

NFG

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:03 AM