Can't install Visual C# 2008 Express Edition with SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Not this whole week, nobody has helped me. I already posted this problem over 4-6 forums. I'm thinking about just giving up on trying to install Visual C# 2008 Express Edition. Before I state my problem. I wanna ask, if I already have a C++ Express Edition, will that affect my C# Express Edition?.
    Though, my main problem is that every time I try to install Visual C# 2008 Express Edition I get a error saying that it encountered a problem with installing "Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Express Edition" component. Which is the same as "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition (x86)". This is what the error report was.
    ----
    Error Signature
    ----------
    EventType : visualstudio8setup     P1 : 10861    
    P2 : 9.0.30729.01_orcas_x86_net     P3 : msi     P4 : rep     P5 : f    
    P6 : nomsi     P7 : gencomp332_{12cda52c-7a8f-4785     P8 : 1603     P9 : -
    P10 : -    
    ----------
    Contents of report
    ----------
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WLF17E.tmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\SDB17F.tmp
    <NoFiles>
    ----------
    ----

I just want to get started coding my game engine using XNA... I can't if Visual C# 2008 Express Edition isn't installed... Can anybody just please help me?... I'll be trying to check this forum occasionally.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:50 AM

Answers

• Hi ZeroPlasmaPulse,

Thank you for your log files.

From the logs, I cannot find any Visual Studio 2008 log files that refer to installation error. However, I can notice some error message for SQL Server 2008 Express installation.

To eliminate the possible cause of the failure installation of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, please help me to check the following screen shot during the installation: 

Could you please not select to install "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition" during the installation on your machine? I mean to uncheck this option that we can see in the screen shot to complete VS installation. Can the installation go smoothly?

If any problem during the installation, please help me to collect the log files again for further troubleshooting.

If Visual Studio installation can be completed, you can separately download SQL Server 2008 Express Edition from http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/.
    If any problem during SQL Server installation, I would suggest you to try SQL Server Setup & Upgrade forum to get more useful help there. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:39 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, January 25, 2010 3:19 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hi ZeroPlasmaPulse,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What's your OS?

Not this whole week, nobody has helped me. I already posted this problem over 4-6 forums. I'm thinking about just giving up on trying to install Visual C# 2008 Express Edition. Before I state my problem. I wanna ask, if I already have a C++ Express Edition, will that affect my C# Express Edition?

I have both Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and Visual C# 2008 Express Edition on my machine. They can work side by side. Visual Studio 2008 products can be installed on the same machine.

Though, my main problem is that every time I try to install Visual C# 2008 Express Edition I get a error saying that it encountered a problem with installing "Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Express Edition" component. Which is the same as "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition (x86)". This is what the error report was.

Was your installation blocked when it tried to install SQL Server 2008 Express Edition?

If yes, you might not select to install SQL Server 2008 during Visual Studio 2008 installation to complete VS installation. If you have any concern on applying Visual Studio 2008, please feel free to let me know. I'm willing to help you on that.

If no, for error code "1603", it's a common error message which means "fatal error during installation".

For further troubleshooting, could you please help me to try the following points?

If you're running XP or Windows Server 2003:
    1. Use Cleanup tool to remove .NET Framework 3.5 >> 3.0 >> 2.0 in order
    2. Run the installer to install Visual C# 2008 Express Edition
    3. If any problem occurs during the installation, use Collect tool to collect the log files for further troubleshooting.
    (Please follow the following steps to collect the log files)

If you're running Vista or Windows Server 2008:
    1. Check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.0.
    Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.
    2. Use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. If .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx
    If .NET Framework 3.5 is not verified, please remove and reinstall it.
    3. If .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are verified successfully but the installation still fails, please collect the log file.

If you're running Windows 7:
    1. Check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.5.1.
    Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.
    2. If the installation fails, please collect the log file.

The steps to collect the log:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install VC# 2008 Express Edition
     (For Vista or later OS, the installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator")
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
    - Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
      Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:33 AM typo
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:56 AM
  • I'm pretty sure its not blocking the installation of the SQL Server 2008 Express Edition. It alerts me when its blocking a program that's either being installed or runned.
    My OS is Windows XP 2000 or something quite close to that. I tried installing the offline version and tried to burn it to a CD. The CD's I have only hold 700 MB's. And the offline version is a little bit more (around 740 MB's). I used the cleanup tool awhile back about a couple or 4 days tops. So I got the logs. I'll be sending them to you now. Hope you can help me Yichun Chen.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Hi ZeroPlasmaPulse,

Thank you for your reply and email.

For ISO installation, I would suggest you to extract the ISO image, to your local computer, that you have just created using something like ISOBuster and run the installation from the harddrive/harddisk.

For the log file that you provided to me, it's not enough for me to track the root cause of installation failure. Have you followed the steps that I mentioned above to utilize Collect Tool to get vslogs.cab file? This tool will collect the log files of .NET Framework and Visual Studio installation.
    If you cannot find vslogs.cab file in the %temp% folder, could you please manually help me to collect related log files according to: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/07/31/4156781.aspx?

Thank you for your help.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Hi ZeroPlasmaPulse,

Thank you for your log files.

From the logs, I cannot find any Visual Studio 2008 log files that refer to installation error. However, I can notice some error message for SQL Server 2008 Express installation.

To eliminate the possible cause of the failure installation of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, please help me to check the following screen shot during the installation: 

Could you please not select to install "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition" during the installation on your machine? I mean to uncheck this option that we can see in the screen shot to complete VS installation. Can the installation go smoothly?

If any problem during the installation, please help me to collect the log files again for further troubleshooting.

If Visual Studio installation can be completed, you can separately download SQL Server 2008 Express Edition from http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/.
    If any problem during SQL Server installation, I would suggest you to try SQL Server Setup & Upgrade forum to get more useful help there. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:39 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, January 25, 2010 3:19 AM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:35 AM