none
How to Implement client side for Autodicover DNS SRV lookup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on mobile ActiveSync client, how to implement this following step on client side ?

If the Autodiscover command request in step 3 fails, then the device performs a DNS SRV lookup for _autodiscover._tcp.<smtp-address-domain>.com, which in this example maps to _autodiscover._tcp.contoso.com. If the DNS lookup is successful, then "mail.<smtp-address-domain>.com" is returned, which maps to "mail.contoso.com". The device then applies the settings to initiate synchronization. For more information about performing the DNS SRV lookup.

BR,

Naresh

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:14 AM

All replies

• I've set up and worked on Exchange for many clients and not one has created the SRV record.  The autodiscover.contoso.com record works just fine, is easier to implement, and has no side effects.  If the client can't find your autodiscover.contoso.com record, it isn't going to find your SRV record either.  What you've read is an explanation of what the client does, not a recommendation for creating fault-tolerant DNS entries.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:23 AM
  • Hello Ed Crowley,

Thanks for your reply, I am working for mobile client, as per ActiveSync spec above mentioned step needs to be implemented on client side.

What is the method to get the DNS SRV record with new server address.

BR,

Naresh

Monday, April 30, 2012 4:35 AM