none
Outlook PST file format specification RRS feed

Answers

All replies

•  Hi Rade, thanks for your post regarding the  Office Binary File Formats specifications. We will review your question and update the forum once our investigation is complete.

Thanks
    John Dunning
    Escalation Engineer Microsoft Corporation
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Hi Rade, There is no standalone documentation for the .pst format, though parts of the format are documented in several different places. If you would like to share with us the particular scenario you have in mind we may be able to point you to documentation or tools to accomplish your goals.

Steve Smegner
    Application Development Consulting Group

Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I want to write API for .NET Framework to read from PST files and to create PST files. I want to say that I am familiar with Exchange programming, MAPI, MSG file format and I know that many of these things are already part of PST.

I expected that format of PST file is documented like MSG file format or Compound File format, but cannot find such document. Could you please point me to documentation related to PST file format. 

- Rade
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Hi

I am in need of a similar File format which does not seem to be documented anywhere.

I need to be able to access OST files, read their contents and write out a PST file.

Could you please point me in the correct direction.

Kind Regards

David
    Monday, July 21, 2008 9:27 PM
  • Rade -

We can assist with successfully  reading/writing to a .pst through MAPI and CDO. This article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678348.aspx) describes how to use the Exchange Server Protocol documentation and MAPI to manipulate Outlook data.

In this case, it is important to note that Outlook be installed (but not necessarily running) in order for a 3rd party application to access data stored in a .pst file

Steve Smegner
    • Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rade Josovic Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:27 AM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:17 AM
  • That is not what I need. I need the .pst file format specification and do not want to depend on Outlook or any other 3rd party component or application. 

I know that there are 32-bit and 64-bit Outlook .pst files. They have signature (first 4 bytes as I remeber) and so on ... We need full specification if Microsoft wants to publish it.

- Rade
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:33 AM
  •  Rade,
    Thanks for the additional information.  As I mentioned in my previous post, we do not currently have standalone documentation for the .pst format, nor is the documentation on the horizon for the immediate future.  If that changes, we’ll let you know. 

Steve Smegner
    • Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:45 AM
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:44 AM
  • libpst Utilities - Version 0.6.24 - http://www.five-ten-sg.com/libpst/

format of MS Outlook .pst file:
    http://www.five-ten-sg.com/libpst/rn01re06.html

Thursday, December 25, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Rade -

We can assist with successfully reading/writing to a .pst through MAPI and CDO. This article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678348.aspx) describes how to use the Exchange Server Protocol documentation and MAPI to manipulate Outlook data.

In this case, it is important to note that Outlook be installed (but not necessarily running) in order for a 3<sup>rd</sup> party application to access data stored in a .pst file

Steve Smegner

Thanks a lot! I learned a lot from what you said.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:33 PM