none
Project 2007 Project.Change event RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

According to the help the Project.Change event "does not occur for actions such as switching views, applying filters, changing formatting, and so on".  This turns out to be not correct - the event is called for all of those actions.  However, I suspect that it used to be true, as for years I've had some code that is invoked for this event, which slowed things down a little.  Just recently users have noticed that this slow down happens even if the Gantt chart splitter bar is moved, say.

Can anyone confirm that this is a recent change to the event?  And if so, if there is a fix for it? 

Thanks,  Neil

Sunday, November 7, 2010 10:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Even better, I tried everything and in 2007 SP2 none of these (view changes, filtering, moving the splitter bar) fire the event. I tried putting it in subject project as well as in the Global. Maybe SP2 is the fix?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Neil,

Tried thsi a few dozen times in 2010 to find out:

Changing views Sometimes fires (could not detect any logic)

Filters and formatting does not fire

Moving Split bar does not fire

Best way to test is to insert in the project.change code a message box or a debug.print

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Hi Jan,

I'm using 2007, and used debug.print to check when the event fired.  It's definitely firing for view changes, filtering, moving the splitter bar etc., contrary to the Help.  I've started moving code to other events to try to avoid the problem, but it would still be nice to know if this was a result of a change to the product, and if there's a fix from Microsoft.

Neil.

Monday, November 8, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Hi,

Even better, I tried everything and in 2007 SP2 none of these (view changes, filtering, moving the splitter bar) fire the event. I tried putting it in subject project as well as in the Global. Maybe SP2 is the fix?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Thanks Jan,

That's helpful - I didn't mention that we have a Project Server environment, and it is the Enterprise Global project.change event that is firing.  I tried putting an event handler in the Global and in the project, and neither of these were misbehaving if I'm not connected to the server.  If I connect to the server, the Enterprise Global event takes precedence over the Global.mpt, and then I get the event firing for filters, etc.  If I add a handler to the current project, it takes precedence over the Enterprise Global, so the misbehaviour stops.

Can you test that, and let me know you get?

BTW, I have SP2 installed.

Neil.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Hi,

My impression is that, even when you are connected to the Server, when there is an event in the project itself, that is the one that fires, but it does not behave "properly" (Undo always fires regardless). And yes, by all means the Enterprie Global event takes over from the local global event.

Sorry to say, but it's a bit of a mess (no pun regarding my name intended). You'll have to takeit as is or leave it I'm afraid

Greetings,

Monday, November 15, 2010 9:28 AM