none
Can column size differ per row? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to make columns different widths on different rows?

In my Tablix, the top row shows the customer number and customer name.  The following row displays by the different items.

I have the top row with some cells merged (for a total of 2 logical cells).  One column is ID, the 2nd is customer name.

Then below that, at the item detail level, there are actually 4 data elements.  Well unfortunately, the 1st column must be the same size as the customer ID column in the first row.  Can this not be changed?

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:31 PM

Answers

• If you aren't doing column grouping, only row grouping (or no grouping) then use the List instead of Table or Matrix. With the latter 2, each cell contains one textbox that automatically docks to all sides of the cell. A list is a table where the detail cell allows you to add as many text boxes, images, tables, etc as you wish and to specify a layout within the detail cell.

I should mention that when you add a List to the report, only a detail cell is intially rendered in design view. However if you want grouping, simply add a group to the Row Groups and a group cell will be added to the left of the detail cell.

• Edited by Tim Pacl Monday, September 24, 2012 10:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mini Button Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:05 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 10:15 PM

All replies

• I think I hear what you have going on. Try creating as many columns as data fields that you want to display AT THE DETAIL LEVEL. Then in your Group Header/Footer, combine the cells as needed.

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005, MCITP BI Dev 2008 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:37 PM
  • If you aren't doing column grouping, only row grouping (or no grouping) then use the List instead of Table or Matrix. With the latter 2, each cell contains one textbox that automatically docks to all sides of the cell. A list is a table where the detail cell allows you to add as many text boxes, images, tables, etc as you wish and to specify a layout within the detail cell.

I should mention that when you add a List to the report, only a detail cell is intially rendered in design view. However if you want grouping, simply add a group to the Row Groups and a group cell will be added to the left of the detail cell.

• Edited by Tim Pacl Monday, September 24, 2012 10:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mini Button Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:05 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 10:15 PM