none
Automation execution skips groups of test cases and continues for the remaining test cases execution through Test Manager RRS feed

• Question

• When I start execution from Test Manager for say 190 automated test cases, it starts the execution. After execution of few test cases (almost 50-60 test cases), it skips groups of test cases and continues for the remaining test cases execution.

e.g. For any execution, First test agent shows message as Test Progress:  9 / 100 Completed. After execution of some test cases it shows message as Test Progress:  1 / 90 Completed.

The status of the skipped test cases are ‘Not executed’ in test run result. 

Is it the problem with the test agent/test controller/test manager?

Please help. 

• Moved by John Qiao Friday, March 16, 2012 2:56 AM (From:Team Foundation Server - General)
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Rajan,

Did you enable the trace log for test controller, test agent service, and test agent process? It's important to diagnose problems. I noticed you mentioned there's no log for skipped test case, I suppose you mean no log in test result.

To enable log, see section Setting the Logging Level on a Test Controller Computer in this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd692842.aspx

If the log file is large, you can share it on Skydrive.

Hope your query will get clear soon.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:03 PM

All replies

• When I start execution from Test Manager for say 190 automated test cases, it starts the execution. After execution of few test cases (almost 50-60 test cases), it skips groups of test cases and continues for the remaining test cases execution.

e.g. For any execution, First test agent shows message as Test Progress:  9 / 100 Completed. After execution of some test cases it shows message as Test Progress:  1 / 90 Completed.

The status of the skipped test cases are ‘Not executed’ in test run result. 

Is it a problem with test agent/test controller/test manager?

Please help.

Rajan Bansod Skype: rajan.bansod

Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Hi Rajan,

By "Is it the problem with the test agent/test controller/test manager?", what do you want to know?

Do you want to know why there are some case not executed?

Do you want to know those test cases are skiped by test manager, test agent, or test controller?

Thanks,

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Hi Mini,

I would like to know the test cases are skipped by test manager, test agent or test controller and why its skipping the test cases.

Thanks,

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:27 PM
  • The reason for not executed tests could be that the test dll or the test method in the dll is not present in the build drop folder.

Thanks,

Anuj

http://www.anujchaudhary.com

Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Hi Rajan,

How about the issue now?

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Hi Anuj,

Thanks, I rechecked the reasons you have suggested. The test dlls and test methods are proper in the build drop folder. In addition to this, 'not executed' test cases and its count are not same for every run. Sometimes the execution happens without any issue. 

Regards,

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Hi Lily,

The issue is still exist. Write now I am using workaround by reducing the bucket size of test controller. But the skipping of test cases issue is still unsolved. Please help me on this.

Regards,

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:24 AM
  • You should look at the test case which gets timed out or aborted. This might be causing other tests to be Not Run.

Thanks,

Anuj

http://www.anujchaudhary.com

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Hi Anuj,

After any test case is aborted, it skips the remaining test cases from that bucket. And start execution for test cases from second bucket. However there is no log for aborted test case. The test cases which are aborting are not same in every run. If I tried to execute 'aborted test case' second time, it runs fine without an issue. Could you please help me to find out the exact cause of 'aborting' test case?

Thanks and Regards,

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Hi Rajan,

Did you enable the trace log for test controller, test agent service, and test agent process? It's important to diagnose problems. I noticed you mentioned there's no log for skipped test case, I suppose you mean no log in test result.

To enable log, see section Setting the Logging Level on a Test Controller Computer in this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd692842.aspx

If the log file is large, you can share it on Skydrive.

Hope your query will get clear soon.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:03 PM