php write permission - COMPUTER\USERS ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-168115865 posted
    Php (FastCGI) can't write files in a directory with the IUSR_COMPUTER full control permission, but with COMPUTER\USERS group full control permission everything works perfect. Why? :(
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 11:43 AM

All replies

• User1356161706 posted

For security reasons the IUSR account as well as all members of the Users group have only read permissions. You can grant permissions by using the Security tab when opening the Properties dialog for the directory or you can use the ICACLS tool. Example:

ICACLS <directory> /grant IUSR:F /grant IUSR:(OI)(IO)(CI)F

Hope this helps.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:40 PM
  • User-168115865 posted
    I granted all right (write, modify, full control, etc..) for the IUSR :( Can't write php.. The wriring to file method works only if Im granting for the Computer\Users group the writing, modify rights. I dont understand why..
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:11 AM
  • User1356161706 posted

Are you using any kind of authentication. Giving IUSR access only gives permission to the anonymous user, i.e. the user IIS uses when anonymous authentication is enabled. If you use authentication (Windows, Digest, Basic auth) the authenticated user is impersonated and its identity is used to write the file.

Hope this helps

Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:59 AM
  • User-168115865 posted

I didnt authenticated the user. I think the writing request processed by the Anonymous user..

Monday, December 29, 2008 12:37 PM
  • User-1796730883 posted

If you use authentication (Windows, Digest, Basic auth) the authenticated user is impersonated and its identity is used to write the file.

Another you can try: switch your php app pool's identity from "NetworkService" to "LocalSystem".

Thanks

Thursday, January 1, 2009 8:45 PM
  • User-168115865 posted

Nothing changes.. :(

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:15 AM
  • User1711771052 posted

<strike></strike>Hi not being to bright with computers. I can install stuff no problem until it comes up with an error, user permission needed what r they talking about.  It's just me on the puter, I'm going to install a t 1.5 hard drive. I tried to install fsx and it came up with can't write cache file and this write permission thing, I'm 67 and don't need this grief i just want to play my games. I have sleep apnea and only sleep 2 hours aday I want to play my games I hope you can help. Thank you in advance, if you could send answer to my e-mail because I'll never find my way back here, I'm running vista premreir which I don't like can I go back to xp on my new hard drive. I'm sorry this was so long but I need help. Thanks again     ELP    ctvalley1@yahoo.com

Friday, November 13, 2009 2:17 AM