What do u think about this architecture for Human workflow by biztalk server and sharePoint? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using following architecture to manage my human workflows  .

1.       BizTalk server begin a workflow and send data as XML to a user cartable in SharePoint server.

2.       That XML file is contained a reference to a XSL file to create a html file (we append a XSL  to XML file using pipeline by “add processing instruction text” property of “XML assembler component” 1).

3.       When XML file is opening by a user in SharePoint ,user will be redirected automatically to an aspx file ,and also sends necessary information via post method to that aspx form.  

4.       With aspx form ,we intract with user and let him or her to do necessary changes .

5.       After that user submits data via XML to BizTalk server workflow( using appropriate receive port ) we continue workflow.

I’d like to know your opinion about this architecture .

I should say that ,I have some hesitate to use Infopath to do that for 2 reason

I am not sure that InfoPath can give me a user interface as powerful as aspx interfaces.

We just have experts in ASP.Net but not in InfoPath .

1- <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="http://localhost/Xsl/hXSLTFile.xsl"?>

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:19 PM

Answers

• As for cartable, do you mean collection or grouping? Also, are you using the Human Workflow Service (HWS) or just describing your business processes as "human workflows"?

InfoPath does require expertise. You should look at using SharePoint workflow with ASP.NET as well because this gives you the SharePoint integration without requiring the complications like in InfoPath. Your workflow sounds like what an information worker would do and integration with SharePoint and BizTalk is a good way for resolving data submission problems and validation or analysis. SharePoint workflows can be built using ASP.NET or InfoPath. Removing InfoPath from the picture reduces the complexity of the process and provides more flexibility for fewer deployment, operational, and support challenges.

Thanks,

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:35 PM

All replies

• As for cartable, do you mean collection or grouping? Also, are you using the Human Workflow Service (HWS) or just describing your business processes as "human workflows"?

InfoPath does require expertise. You should look at using SharePoint workflow with ASP.NET as well because this gives you the SharePoint integration without requiring the complications like in InfoPath. Your workflow sounds like what an information worker would do and integration with SharePoint and BizTalk is a good way for resolving data submission problems and validation or analysis. SharePoint workflows can be built using ASP.NET or InfoPath. Removing InfoPath from the picture reduces the complexity of the process and provides more flexibility for fewer deployment, operational, and support challenges.

Thanks,

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:35 PM
  • BizTalk is a great tool for system-to-system workflows, not human workflows.

I would check-out 3rd party software for creating human workflows. These bpm software tools have good BizTalk integration and SharePoint integration. They usually have more workflow funtionality and are easier to create and mantain.

Using BizTalk as an architecture for human workflows is an overkill. Simple workflows can be created using SharePoint 2007's workflow functionality na better interfaces

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:32 PM