WACK failed : Performance suspend (unity3d project)

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to submit my app to Windows store, but fail certification. The app is developed in Unity3d.

Trying to resolve it, I created an empty Unity project, with 1 scene in it that is totally empty (camera only).

Configurations:

1. Windows 8.1 on Parallels (mac).
    2. Unity pro, version 4.3.4f1.
    3. Windows SDK 8.0.
    4. Windows App Certification Kit 3.1.
    5. VisualStudio 2012 express for windows 8. (Build: Local Machine / x86 / Release or Master)

Error message:

Performance suspend Error Found: The performance suspend test collected the following results: Application Error: Application Suspend was not detected for application App. This could be because your application failed to suspend correctly. Please consider re-running the test avoid interacting with the application while tests are running.

Any suggestions...?

Thanks!

Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:50 AM

Answers

• An empty Unity scene should pass the WACK without any problems. I just verified that with my own test project.

In addition to the issues Bret mentions I'd check to see an empty non-Unity app created in Visual Studio passes or fails.

Suspension isn't one of the areas that typically causes issues, although for your real app you should look into saving state so the player can suspend and resume to the same place. If it makes sense for your game having it automatically pause when the app's window loses activation is often a friendly thing for the player.

If you haven't already looked at them, the porting guides at http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/porting will help identify many of the Windows specific techniques that you'll want make use of in Unity.

--Rob

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:33 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Unfortunately, it sounds like there's a problem with the project that Unity is creating. have you tried asking on the Unity forums?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Matt may be right here. But there should be more information that will key us in. First, when you target your Unity Build are you making sure Compilation is set to NET CORE?  This is under the player settings Publish Settings.  This may throw up a lot of errors, but they would need to be resolved.

Also, I saw you are using WACK 3.1, have you tried WACK 3.3?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694081.aspx

Also, here is a good reference to determine why WACK Performance tests are failing:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2716152

Bret Bentzinger (MSFT) @awehellyeah

Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Thanks a lot!

I will look into your suggestions and update.

Renana

Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:26 PM
  • An empty Unity scene should pass the WACK without any problems. I just verified that with my own test project.

In addition to the issues Bret mentions I'd check to see an empty non-Unity app created in Visual Studio passes or fails.

Suspension isn't one of the areas that typically causes issues, although for your real app you should look into saving state so the player can suspend and resume to the same place. If it makes sense for your game having it automatically pause when the app's window loses activation is often a friendly thing for the player.

If you haven't already looked at them, the porting guides at http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/porting will help identify many of the Windows specific techniques that you'll want make use of in Unity.

--Rob

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:33 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you very much for the help.

Upgrading to WACK 3.3 solved the Suspend problem.

Now I have another one related to 8.1 & Direct3d:

• Error Found: The Direct3D Trim after Suspend test detected the following errors:
      • One or more applications in the package did not call Trim() on their DXGI Devices while being suspended.

Are you familiar with this one?

(Tried both Direct3d 11 enabled and disabled in unity settings)

Thanks a lot,

Renana

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:28 AM
  • Please submit a new post for this question.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 7, 2014 1:02 PM
  • Hi did you solve the problem? im having the same issue in when trying to get my game on the store. need to call trim ()
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure I remember how I solved this, but maybe this will help:

1. I couldn't pass WACK when compiled my Unity project to SDK 8.1. so I am using 8.0.

2. I am using VisualStudio Express 2012 for windows 8

3. Unity Build Settings:

1. type: XAML C# Solution
      2. SDK: 8.0 
      3. Player settings -> Publishing settings ->Compilation: Compilation overrides: Use Net Core
      4. When on Player settings for PC, Mac & Linux:
      5. Resolution and presentation tab -> Run in Background is not set.
      6. Other settings: Use direct3D 11 -> not set

I don't know if any of this related... but it works.

Hope it will help... let me know if you think I can help more.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:45 AM