App won't install on client machine RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a similar issue as this person did:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/br/vsx/thread/a34d70f4-e586-416f-8488-478ac8

"I developed an application in VB.NET using the Microsoft visual studio 2008, after deploying and publishing the application, I attempted to install it on the client system and the application displayed a prompt "unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly Microsoft.Visual Studio.shell.interop.9.0 version 9.0.0.0 "be installed in the Global Assembly cache (GAC) first. Please contact your system administrator". Please how do I go about installing the application?"

Only I'm using VS2010 and the message says that ...interop.8.0 version 8.0.0.0 needs to be installed in the GAC.  The solution to the original post was to install the VS2008 SDK.  I assume I need to install the VS 2010 SDK?  But how does that help my situation?  The app runs fine on my machine, just not on the client's.

Kris Hood
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:31 PM

Answers

• Wait, so you have no reference to Shell.8.dll and yet it says it needs one?  That sounds incorrect.  Why do you have Office interops?  Do you need those?  It sounds like you have some kind of dependency on Shell.8 from one of your other dependencies.  I don't have a box without the SDK installed so I don't know if the interops are installed as part of the normal install, though it sounds like they are not.  Installing the SDK on your box wouldn't help, as you said above, the client needs the dlls GACed or you need to eliminate your dependence on them.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by db_dweeb Friday, December 9, 2011 2:46 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:28 PM

All replies

• What exactly do you have a dependency on the interop assembly for?

Ryan

Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:03 PM
  • I asked myself that question.  So I took it out.  The only reference to an interop assembly I have now is to Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.

Without the reference to version 8, the app works fine on my machine.  Won't install on the clients.  The client's says it needs version 8 installed. 

Kris Hood
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Wait, so you have no reference to Shell.8.dll and yet it says it needs one?  That sounds incorrect.  Why do you have Office interops?  Do you need those?  It sounds like you have some kind of dependency on Shell.8 from one of your other dependencies.  I don't have a box without the SDK installed so I don't know if the interops are installed as part of the normal install, though it sounds like they are not.  Installing the SDK on your box wouldn't help, as you said above, the client needs the dlls GACed or you need to eliminate your dependence on them.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by db_dweeb Friday, December 9, 2011 2:46 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:28 PM
  • The problem was in the Publish...Application Files tab.  There were so many files marked "Prerequisite" that I didn't need.  I went thru all of them one at a time, changing to Exclude, attempt to install the app, determining the next file it said it needed, change to Exclude, and so on.  Finally I got the app to install on the client's machine and it appears to be working just fine. 

Now my question is, how did all those get there?  I did not put them there purposely.  The app worked fine on the client until yesterday when I removed all references and programming for Crystal Reports, then tried installing the references and programming again.  The client decided he didn't want Crystal Reports, then changed his mind.  Now he wants both Crystal and Access reports.

Thanks....Kris

Kris Hood
    Friday, December 9, 2011 2:46 PM