none
Can't find a webbot string when searching? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm trying to do a search for the following webbot throughout many pages in my website:

    <!--webbot bot="Include" u-include="http://www.mysite.com/includes/google-analytics.htm" -->

    (Note: "mysite" replaces the actual name of the website.)

    I've tried everything, for some reason, EW4 will find the entire webbot string above only if I run the search in an individual open page. The EW4 search function will not find it if I search across multiple open pages or through the entire site -- it comes up completely empty.

    I've even tried doint an EW4 Regular Expressions search, with the same result -- it will find it if I search in an individually loaded page, but not in open pages or across the site.

    Any tips on how I can get EW4 to find that webbot string? I need to replace that string with a php include, but to open every single page on my site to replace it will be a nightmare.

    Thanks!


    Rick.

    Monday, April 16, 2012 8:34 PM

All replies

  • Unless your page is open and in your focus, the include doesn't look like that.  Open one of the pages in NotePad, and you'll see thet the include webbot is changed, and also has the actual included content in the page.

    When a page is open, EW switches to show you only the webbot in Code View so you can't try and edit the included content in the including page.

    For example:

    <!--webbot bot="Include" TAG="BODY" U-Include="../calendar/default.html" -->

    only showing as that when the page is open and in focus to you, is, in all the other including pages, really

    <!--webbot bot="Include" TAG="BODY" U-Include="../calendar/default.html" startspan --> All the included content is here... <!--webbot bot="Include" endspan i-checksum="19806" -->

    with the checksum being specific to the content, and the included page address, if relative, varying depending where in the directory structure the including pages are.

    • Edited by KathyW2 Monday, April 16, 2012 10:04 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 9:22 PM
  • If your strength is in regexes (mine isn't ;-), you could search for any string which begins with the string "<!--webbot bot="Include" TAG="BODY" U-Include=http://www.mysite.com/includes/google-analytics.htm" and ends with "i-checksum="19806" -->", with the checksum value (19806 in this case) replaced by the regex expression for "any number of numeric characters."

    That will select the entire content of each of the includes, without considering the relative path to the include, or the actual included contents of the include. You can use "Find Next..." for the first few, to make sure your regex is working correctly, before pulling the trigger, or if that's your only design-time include, let fly. 

    Anyway, that should do it for the "Find" expression, and since you mentioned having tried a regex already, maybe you're up for building what you need.  ;-)

    cheers,
    scott


    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Ack! Thanks, I totally forgot about how the webbot is changed when the page is open. No wonder I couldn't find it in the closed pages!

    I have to say, after 12+ years of using FP, then EW, I'm finally switching over to PHP for my includes, rather than webbots. I only discovered (from KathyW2) a few weeks ago that my use of webbots meant that my includes were not updating on the live pages on the site, only locally.

    But, now I have 4,000+ pages to fix...


    Rick.

    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:19 PM