Serious About Learning .NET Framework RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to master these Frameworks. I did programming at a respected university, but the projects I did there are far more simple than the stuff that is being done here. When I took a C++ course, we didn't talk about classes and objects to the very last week, so I didn't get much practice with them. When I took Software I, we did a GUI project the very last week. Again, very little practice with it. So it appears that programming is a skill that is not learned in school. The great Bill Gates learned programming as a kid. I love C++, but I do admit that the inconsistencies that I've found made it very difficult to figure out how to do things. I know that this is about C#, but I brought up my experience with C++ because the syntax is similar.

Basically, I'm looking for books on how to do the advanced stuff that will not be taugt in school. I was trying to use a key press event for a windows form and I couldn't figure out how to do it to save my life. Basically, I just click on the dialog box, attached an event to it, and then I visited that event in the code. I typed:

if (Keys.KeyCode == Keys.Enter) {
                    MessageBox.Show("Hello");
    }

into the function and I was getting an error message saying unreachable code detected. I don't know what is wrong with this code. So obviously, you can't teach me how to handle the very complex Framework in this post, but a good recommended read would be appreciated.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:59 PM

Answers

• Basically, I'm looking for books on how to do the advanced stuff that will not be taugt in school.

You spent $1,000 of dollars. So what's $79 more in the grand schema of things?

http://www.dofactory.com/net/design-patterns

• Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by DotNet Wang Monday, July 25, 2016 7:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:22 PM
  • You need to narrow down wich part of .NET you want to learn. Basically pick a dispaly technology. Try to learn it.

And mostly ignore the other 5/6 of the Framework. The Framework is just to wide to have any chance to learn it as a whole:

Frameworks, Programming for .NET, Display technologies and the like

"into the function and I was getting an error message saying unreachable code detected. I don't know what is wrong with this code. So obviously, you can't teach me how to handle the very complex Framework in this post, but a good recommended read would be appreciated."

You have to compare the input (you get it via the EventArgs argument) with the constant.
    Right now you compare two different constants ('a' == 'b') and the result will always be false. As such you have unreachable code.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Hi BernWillChris,

I agree with Christopher84.

We need to narrow down which part of .NET you encounter issue during work. 

According to myself. I would suggest you look CLR via C# book before you have studied C# language syntax.

The book will tell you some theoretical stuff.

Best Regards,

Hart

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:12 AM

All replies

• Basically, I'm looking for books on how to do the advanced stuff that will not be taugt in school.

You spent $1,000 of dollars. So what's $79 more in the grand schema of things?

http://www.dofactory.com/net/design-patterns

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:22 PM
  • You need to narrow down wich part of .NET you want to learn. Basically pick a dispaly technology. Try to learn it.

And mostly ignore the other 5/6 of the Framework. The Framework is just to wide to have any chance to learn it as a whole:

Frameworks, Programming for .NET, Display technologies and the like

"into the function and I was getting an error message saying unreachable code detected. I don't know what is wrong with this code. So obviously, you can't teach me how to handle the very complex Framework in this post, but a good recommended read would be appreciated."

You have to compare the input (you get it via the EventArgs argument) with the constant.
    Right now you compare two different constants ('a' == 'b') and the result will always be false. As such you have unreachable code.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Hi BernWillChris,

I agree with Christopher84.

We need to narrow down which part of .NET you encounter issue during work. 

According to myself. I would suggest you look CLR via C# book before you have studied C# language syntax.

The book will tell you some theoretical stuff.

Best Regards,

Hart

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:12 AM
  • You need to learn the basics before you can learn the advanced. I suggest going somewhere like Amazon and searching for the subject you want to learn then look at the reviews. I always look at the negative reviews first; people tend to give books favorable reviews even when the book is not good. There will always be negative reviews that are not useful but if you find negative reviews that seem relevant and sincere then that could really help.

You say "we didn't talk about classes and objects" until the end. Something you might want to do that other people are less likely to suggest is to look at books about object-oriented design. Learning how to design is important, especially if you want a job. In fact, universities do teach the subject. An employer is going to pay more for someone that can do the design than someone that can only convert the design to code.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:11 PM