Which version of Visual studio to be used to Create an Addin for Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am very new to the Windows World, so my question might not be very clear and to the point. Apologies in advance

I need to build a tool that integrates Outlook with my CRM application using C# .

Can someone please help me decide on which version of Visual Studio &  Outlook should i be using to start with my development? 

I currently have Visual Studio 2005 TE , and MsOutlook 2007. 

But this allows me to use a" Shared Addin Project Template " under the Extensibilty Type .

When I try to use the Outlook Add in Template under Office , it says i need Outlook 2003 SP1 or newer to be installed  for this project template.

I already have Outlook2007, why does it require a lower version?

I want to create an Addin that can be used with any version of outlook. I am not sure how to go abt this.. The shared add in Template uses the IDTExtensibility2 Platform , which doesn't seem to have features such a Ribbon etc. 

Also Outlook Add in vs Shared Add in ? which is better? 

Please help.

Friday, June 4, 2010 10:08 AM

Answers

• The PIA you use and the version of Office you have installed affects the versions of Outlook that you can support. The rule of thumb is to use the oldest version you intend to support. So if you want to support "any version" you need Outlook 2000 installed.

That can't be supported in VSTO, the subject of this forum. VSTO 2005 will support Outlook 2003 as will 2005 SE, assuming Outlook 2003 is installed. 2005 SE will support Outlook 2007 but if that's what you have installed you couldn't support 2003.

For support for multiple versions I use a shared addin with shimming to provide an isolated AppDomain. I try to avoid support for 2000 and 2002 in managed code, they don't really work well with managed code, although it can be done.

Take a look at these blog articles from Andrew Whitechapel, who used to be on the VSTO team, maybe they will give you some ideas and guidance: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/andreww/archive/2008/06/03/add-ins-for-multiple-office-versions-without-pias.aspx.

I use ComImports like Andrew describes to provide ribbon support for 2007 and 2010 while still developing on an Outlook 2003 machine to support all 3 of those versions.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
    Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Shilpa Jain" <=?utf-8?B?U2hpbHBhIEphaW4=?=> wrote in message news:6922a435-cd75-421f-b1d3-0b93c5a22cff...

Hi ,

I am very new to the Windows World, so my question might not be very clear and to the point. Apologies in advance

I need to build a tool that integrates Outlook with my CRM application using C# .

Can someone please help me decide on which version of Visual Studio &  Outlook should i be using to start with my development? 

But this allows me to use a" Shared Addin Project Template " under the Extensibilty Type .

When I try to use the Outlook Add in Template under Office , it says i need Outlook 2003 SP1 or newer to be installed  for this project template.

I want to create an Addin that can be used with any version of outlook. I am not sure how to go abt this.. The shared add in Template uses the IDTExtensibility2 Platform , which doesn't seem to have features such a Ribbon etc. 

Please help.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Shilpa Jain Saturday, June 5, 2010 8:02 AM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 1:54 PM
  • In regards to the error you're getting when you try to create a VSTO Outlook add-in project - If you have only Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition installed, this version provides an Outlook add-in project that is compatible with Outlook 2003 only. If this is your scenario, then the error message you're seeing is expected. To develop add-ins for Outlook 2007 (and other Office 2003 and Office 2007 applications) you must install VSTO 2005 SE - this is a free plug-in to Visual Studio 2005 Professional and higher. After you install VSTO 2005 SE, you should see separate 2003 and 2007 nodes under the Office node in the New Project dialog. Use the Outlook Add-in project on the 2007 node to create an add-in for Outlook 2007.

If you do have VSTO 2005 SE installed and you're getting this error when creating an Outlook 2007 add-in project, then that is unexpected. If you installed Visual Studio before installing Office 2007, then you might try repairing the VSTO runtime.

As for creating an add-in that works with "any" version of Outlook, I think Ken has the big picture covered. In short, VSTO only supports Office 2003 and later. If you create an Outlook 2003 add-in using VSTO 2005 SE, then the add-in can work in Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, and 32-bit versions of Outlook 2010. If you need to support an earlier version of Office, then you must use the Shared Add-in project type, and the general recommendation is to build against the oldest version of Office you want to support on your development computer.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 3:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi ,

Please help.

Friday, June 4, 2010 10:05 AM
  • The PIA you use and the version of Office you have installed affects the versions of Outlook that you can support. The rule of thumb is to use the oldest version you intend to support. So if you want to support "any version" you need Outlook 2000 installed.

That can't be supported in VSTO, the subject of this forum. VSTO 2005 will support Outlook 2003 as will 2005 SE, assuming Outlook 2003 is installed. 2005 SE will support Outlook 2007 but if that's what you have installed you couldn't support 2003.

For support for multiple versions I use a shared addin with shimming to provide an isolated AppDomain. I try to avoid support for 2000 and 2002 in managed code, they don't really work well with managed code, although it can be done.

Take a look at these blog articles from Andrew Whitechapel, who used to be on the VSTO team, maybe they will give you some ideas and guidance: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/andreww/archive/2008/06/03/add-ins-for-multiple-office-versions-without-pias.aspx.

I use ComImports like Andrew describes to provide ribbon support for 2007 and 2010 while still developing on an Outlook 2003 machine to support all 3 of those versions.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
    Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Shilpa Jain" <=?utf-8?B?U2hpbHBhIEphaW4=?=> wrote in message news:6922a435-cd75-421f-b1d3-0b93c5a22cff...

Hi ,

Please help.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, June 4, 2010 1:54 PM
  • In regards to the error you're getting when you try to create a VSTO Outlook add-in project - If you have only Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition installed, this version provides an Outlook add-in project that is compatible with Outlook 2003 only. If this is your scenario, then the error message you're seeing is expected. To develop add-ins for Outlook 2007 (and other Office 2003 and Office 2007 applications) you must install VSTO 2005 SE - this is a free plug-in to Visual Studio 2005 Professional and higher. After you install VSTO 2005 SE, you should see separate 2003 and 2007 nodes under the Office node in the New Project dialog. Use the Outlook Add-in project on the 2007 node to create an add-in for Outlook 2007.

If you do have VSTO 2005 SE installed and you're getting this error when creating an Outlook 2007 add-in project, then that is unexpected. If you installed Visual Studio before installing Office 2007, then you might try repairing the VSTO runtime.

As for creating an add-in that works with "any" version of Outlook, I think Ken has the big picture covered. In short, VSTO only supports Office 2003 and later. If you create an Outlook 2003 add-in using VSTO 2005 SE, then the add-in can work in Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, and 32-bit versions of Outlook 2010. If you need to support an earlier version of Office, then you must use the Shared Add-in project type, and the general recommendation is to build against the oldest version of Office you want to support on your development computer.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 3:50 PM
    Answerer