none
Effective file/directory access RRS feed

• Question

• NTFS: Exporer/Advanced Security Settings/Effective Access enables the check of effective access.

Is similar functionality exposed some API (possibly by PInvoke)? (without reading ACL and calculating effective permission my self, that is somewhat complicated and the OS got it after all)
    (If not, I think this could be quite useful)

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi EuroEager,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, if you want to check of effective access, I think it is a good way to get with ACL. Why you do not want to use it?

Please download the source file from code project for reference.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15832/Access-Control-List-in-C

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by EuroEager Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:05 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi EuroEager,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, if you want to check of effective access, I think it is a good way to get with ACL. Why you do not want to use it?

Please download the source file from code project for reference.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15832/Access-Control-List-in-C

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by EuroEager Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:05 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 7:59 AM
  • Thanks, however my case is no windows domain.

I have been thinking of going through ACL for the object (Directory), but I think it is fearly complicated to take care of inheritance etc.

The client (who owns" the directory has given me permission to create a testfile which is the best method according to many.

Req's now changed, no problem anymore.

Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:05 PM