background task for extracting zip file

Question

• Hi,

In my application I have downloaded zip file using background downloader class,on download completion i called zip file extraction function.download working fine on running and suspended states i need to do the same for extraction.now my extraction function not working on suspended state,my file size is around 100 mb so it takes 2 to 3 minutes to complete the extraction.how to implement background task for unzipping files.

I read about system events and other background task procedures,pls guide me how to do this on extraction of zip file.

Thanks in advance

Friday, July 04, 2014 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hi suganthe,

The purpose for backgroundTask is not as you mentioned to unzip some file, background tasks are lightweight. Keeping background execution to a minimum ensures the best user experience with foreground apps and battery life. Read this for more information: Supporting your app with background tasks.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, July 07, 2014 5:07 AM
  • Hi suganthe,

Sorry, I don't think its possible.  Read this: Application lifecycle. When app suspend, only Background transfer operations can still work.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, July 07, 2014 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi suganthe,

The purpose for backgroundTask is not as you mentioned to unzip some file, background tasks are lightweight. Keeping background execution to a minimum ensures the best user experience with foreground apps and battery life. Read this for more information: Supporting your app with background tasks.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 07, 2014 5:07 AM
  • hi James,

In my app extraction of zip file takes long time.on suspended state extraction paused and its getting resumed on running state.i want to extract the files in suspended state too how can i achieve this?

Monday, July 07, 2014 5:29 AM
  • Hi suganthe,

Sorry, I don't think its possible.  Read this: Application lifecycle. When app suspend, only Background transfer operations can still work.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 07, 2014 8:50 AM