none
Multilingual OS does not show Korean fonts RRS feed

• Question

• I have buid a multilingual OS for differents roman languages and several east asian: chinese, japanese and Korean.  

To do this, I have followed the informations described par MS in this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee491398.aspx (How to create a multilingual OS Design). In brief, I have selected languages in the properties of the project, choosen the default language to Invariant, included chinese, japanese and korean fonts from the catalog, selected the AC3 compressing, builded, called the CreateMui function for each language, cut paste the related informations between bib files and then make run-time image.

On the generated OS, downloaded on a AT61SAM9G45 dev kit, I can successfully swicth OS language through "Menu / Settings / Control Panel / Regional Settings", tab "User Interface Language". That's fine and work perfectly for european languages, for chinese and for japanese.

But, when I swicth to Korean, all characters are display as en empty square!

If a build an OS with only Korean, the characters are Ok. If a build an OS with Korean and Japanese only, all of them are displayed with empty squares (chinese was ok when alone or with roman languages)

Any idea to have korean fonts displayed in a multilingual OS?

Thank's

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:22 AM

All replies

• I'm definitely no expert on multilingual, but we'll almost certainly need to know what version of Windows CE you're working with.  In some versions, you were not allowed to have two East Asian languages in the same OS (I don't recall the reason).  Is the list of fonts the same for Korean-only and Korean+Japanese? 

This sounds like it might be a case of a font named "SomeSystemFont" existing for Japanese and for Korean, but neither having both glyph sets in it (that is, there's a Japanese version and a Korean version, but no Japanese+Korean version).  When you choose one or the other, you get the correct version for that, but when you choose both, you get whichever one gets copied to the flat release folder last...

Paul T.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Thank's Paul for your help.

I'm using Windows CE 6.0 R2.

• 2 east asian seems to be possible, as I can successully build and use an OS with english, simplified chinese and japanese.
    • Moreover, it doesn't works with only one east asian language: an OS with just English and Korean does not work. And yet, in this case, the Gulim fonts (gulim.ac3) are well present on the windows directory.

Any other idea?

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:46 AM
  • "Possible in particular cases" and "supported" aren't necessarily the same thing.  However, I think that CE6 fixed that limitation in CE5.

But it does work if you use Korean only, right?  That's starting to feel more like a registry setting problem.  System font?  Application font?

If, in your English/Korean system, you use Pocket Word or some other application that allows text to be displayed in a specific font, could you verify that you can use Gulim and display appropriate Korean text?

If none of this leads anywhere, I'd have to point you to MS support...

Paul T.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Very strange observation: it works with English US and Korean when I set Korean to be the defaut language, in my PB6 OS project properties. When the target is started, I can swicth from Korean to English, then to korean, ... Select or not the catalog item "Monotype Imaging AC3 Font Compression" have no impact. It works with both choices.

It works too with English, Japanese and korean as default.

But, it does not work in this case, with 3 east asian languages: English, Japanese, Simplified Chinese and Korean as default. AC3 Font Compression still have no impact: It does not work with both choices.

For the registry, I've verified System Font (Tahoma) and Font Linking (activated, east asian fonts linked to Tahoma). In all case, the font (ttf or ac3 files) are deployed at the good place (the Windows directory).

I have also tested system font replacement by aliasing them: I have replaced Tahoma with Arial. It still does not work for korean (other east asian works and english uses Arial).

Loic.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:13 PM
  • Hi Loic,

I've also have problems with True Type fonts and Windows CE. It take me a long time to find out that Windows CE can only manage one type of font at time. When you create an OSDesign, it will be with "Raster font support" or "True Type font support".

Check if you have include SYSGEN_GDI_RASTERFONT, which correspond to "Core OS/CEBASE/Graphics and Multimedia Technologies/Graphics/Raster Fonts Support ".

If this is the case, simply remove it and your OSDesign will be with True Type font support.

Hope this help

Fabrice

Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hi Loic.

I'm wondering if you got the solution for Korean font issue? I have problem to show Korean characters with a image that includes Traditional Chinese+Japaness+Korean fonts.

Thanks,

Andrew

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Hi, Do you ever get a solution to this problem too, K can't coexits with C or CJ ?

MUI Font Linking 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms903933.aspx

The above does not work out for me either!

Friday, October 21, 2011 12:20 AM