Payload File Does Not Exist error - But the file isn't even used

Question

• I'm getting an error on 2 image files I deleted from the app's folder. I deleted them because I was no longer using them.

They're not present in the app any more, but I get an error for them anyway.

How can I stop this error, without having to restore the files?

I can't find the line in the code where the error is, as it just goes to "GenerateAppxPackageRecipe", and the file names don't appear anywhere in the section, as far as I can see.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:21 PM

Answers

• I think .jsproj is right, but I'm not on a dev machine to check. I'll also move this to the HTML/JavaScript forum for you.

The reference is likely in a file in the root of the project, but you can search them all at once with (approximately - findstr /? should list the options) findstr /s "missingfile.jpg" *.*

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:44 PM

All replies

• Are they still referenced in the project file? If you delete them from disk but not from the project you'll get errors.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:52 PM
  • I can't find any references to them. What files might they show up in? I looked at the HTML, JS, CSS, App Manifest, and the 'resource' ones in the directory /bld/Debug

Should I check any other files?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:02 PM
  • Check in your vcproj file (I think it's vbproj if you're using VB). You can use findstr to search all of your files for references to the image file.

References in the source code itself wouldn't cause this error. That would be more likely to generate a file-not-found exception at runtime.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:15 PM
  • I'm actually on HTML/JS, so should I be looking for a .jsproj file?

There's 2 of them, one is .jsproj.user, and won't open. The other one is the whole project and just opens whatever files I had open in VS last time.

I'm totally new to this, so I have no idea what I'm looking for. Is it in the root folder with the files I mentioned above, or in one of the folders within that?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:31 PM
  • I think .jsproj is right, but I'm not on a dev machine to check. I'll also move this to the HTML/JavaScript forum for you.

The reference is likely in a file in the root of the project, but you can search them all at once with (approximately - findstr /? should list the options) findstr /s "missingfile.jpg" *.*

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Thanks, I found it! Just deleted the lines saying to include them in the app manifest, and now no more errors.
    Friday, April 25, 2014 3:11 PM