How can Metro App with C# use SNMP? RRS feed

• Question

• My current application is using NETSNMP that is one of open source based on C++ and socket API.

And I have a plan to migrate my applicaiton to metro app environment.

In this case, I want to know following items :

* WinRT can cover SNMP or not.

* NETSNMP based on C++ and socket apis can be used in the Metro App?

If it's handled as DLL, it can be called by Metro App?

* Other C# based SNMP libraries in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/netfxnetcom/thread/5f56afe2-9770-47ca-81b7-3f5a93f8c2e5/ can be used in the metro app?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:19 AM

Answers

• Whether your current library can be used in a Metro style app depends on what API it calls. Metro style apps can p-invoke into native DLLs, but the native DLL must be valid for Metro.

If the library calls API that are available in the Metro family then it will work. If not then it would need to be ported. Depending on the library that could be trivial or very difficult. You can try using it from a Metro style app and run the Windows App Cert Kit against it to see if it passes.

Likewise for C# based SNMP libraries: if they use only parts of the framework available in the Metro profile then they will work. If they use parts which are not available then they won't work. How easy they are to convert depends on how much they depend on the unavailable code.

Which API are allowed are documented at Win32 and COM for Metro style apps and .NET for Metro style apps .

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Host_Driver Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:37 AM