none
WEC7 and Hyper-V

Question

• Having some issues, 

I am trying to run my WEC7 environment in hyper-v.  I am using the hd0_sample which allows me to send the image from VS2008.  This works fine on Virtual PC as well as in Hyper-V.  The difference is when I do it in Hyper-V after the image is loaded and tries to boot, I get a black screen with green lines just at the top 10% of the screen and the cpu is pegged (Picture attached).  Not sure if anyone has had any luck getting WEC7 to run on Hyper-V, my understanding was that Hyper-V and Virtual PC are comparable and this should work on either. 

It even looks like it "thinks" it's loaded as it is trying to start CePerf.dll from desktop.  The CPU is also around 80-90% consistently once the image is loaded.  Any information would be awesome!

Thanks,

Kyle

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:46 PM

Answers

• Ok all, Good and bad news.  I called microsoft and opened a support case.  Apparently it will not work in Hyper-v because the BSP is different then Virtual PC so when you build the image for Virtual PC it will not run in hyper-v.  They are checking to see if there will be a future release with the bsp for Hyper-V included.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Koldeway

Confirmed, No they are not working on one atm.  Jan-25-2012.  Hope this helps anyone spending days searching like I was.

• Marked as answer by Kyle Koldeway Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:44 PM
    • Edited by Kyle Koldeway Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:05 PM

All replies

• When you run the OS on the Virtual PC, are you downloading it from Platform builder, right? How do you load it in Hyper-V?

Have you tried to build the same OS in release without KITL enabled and create a standalone vCEPC as described in %PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Embedded Compact 7\Documentation\Advanced Virtual CEPC.pdf?

Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Thanks for the help Luca!!! 

When you run the OS on the Virtual PC, are you downloading it from Platform builder, right? How do you load it in Hyper-V?

I load them both from platform builder, from the same pc currently.  The goal is to use the vm's for CATS to use to test builds on the vm build servers.  Basically the build server is VM and the CE enviroment is VM.  We don't really want to go the route of virtual 2007 though.

Have you tried to build the same OS in release without KITL enabled and create a standalone vCEPC as described in %PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Embedded Compact 7\Documentation\Advanced Virtual CEPC.pdf?

I have tried building without KITL enabled and it did the same thing.  I will try to make a standalone vCEPC as described in the documentation and will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Koldeway
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Luca,

So that didnt work either =/  Do you know if anyone has ever even tried getting wec7 to work on hyper-v?  I literally see nothing online for 2 days of searching that even gets close to mentioning it.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Koldeway
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Since the kernel looks loaded, it could be one of the driver blocking the boot.
    You could start from the mini kernel to see if that works and adding drivers one by one.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Ok all, Good and bad news.  I called microsoft and opened a support case.  Apparently it will not work in Hyper-v because the BSP is different then Virtual PC so when you build the image for Virtual PC it will not run in hyper-v.  They are checking to see if there will be a future release with the bsp for Hyper-V included.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Koldeway

Confirmed, No they are not working on one atm.  Jan-25-2012.  Hope this helps anyone spending days searching like I was.

• Marked as answer by Kyle Koldeway Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:44 PM
    • Edited by Kyle Koldeway Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:05 PM
  • With Windows 8 Pro Hyper-V I have fixed exactly the same issue by excluding ISR_VPCMOUSE driver. Thanks Checked build from which I figured out the reason of VM's hang.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:59 AM
  • BelPav,

How do you diable the ISR_VPCMOUSE driver?  Do you then not have mouse support?  THANKS very much for the reply to my post!

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Koldeway

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Just comment out isr_vpcmouse.dll in platform.bib. Yes, mouse support is still in place. I believe this driver is specific to Virtual PC and hopefully it is not required for Hyper-V
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:19 AM
  • The tip with isr_vpcmouse.dll works great :) Thanks BelPav.

But did anybody get network access working in a Windows Embedded Compact 7 Hyper-V Image? I spent a whole day but didn't get it to work. I don't see any Network Card in the hyper-v Image.

Thanks,

Chris

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:47 AM
  • There is another trick - use Legacy Network adapter

• Edited by BelPav Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:45 PM Fixed lost screenshot
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:42 AM
  • Despite the original post being a couple years old, I just wanted to thank you for your post.   Thanks to your info, I was able to get WEC7 running, standalone, in a VM under Hyper V, running Windows 8.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Windows 10 update.

Image stops booting on IDE initialization. Solution: add fake DVD-drives to have 4 IDE devices (2 devices per controller). Another solution should be removal of unused IDE devices from image registry, but that requires to rebuild the image

• Edited by BelPav Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:48 PM Added screenshot
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:41 AM