none
Universal search across all fields in Access through Expression WEb page RRS feed

• Question

• I need to search all fields in my Access database to come up with any occurrence of a term, such as can be done in Excel. How do I do this in an Expressions Web page?
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:21 PM

All replies

• You can search to bring up a record WHERE some field is LIKE your VALUE using the controls of asp.net

Look at tutorial number 3 here: http://www.homepagedoctor.com/Tutorials.aspx

About half way through that tutorial is a paragraph starting out "Now here is the important part. Click the WHERE button --" That paragraph shows how to set up the WHERE clause when you are looking for the field to be some exact term.  You wan to choose LIKE instead of  =  since the VALUE you are trying to match might just be part of the text in the field (at least if I understand what you are trying to do)

Once you see how to set things up that way, then you will have to monkey with the WHERE clause because you are going to want a bunch of OR statements, so that the records returned include those where field1 contains your term OR field2 contains your term OR field3 contains your term etc.

Now, all that being said, this may still not do what you are asking, because it is going to return records where a bunch of fields contain the term you searched on, but it isnt going to highlight that term for you (if that matters). So, depending on how verbose your fields are, it could be hard to find occurrences of that term (again, if that matters).

But if all you need to do is bring up records containing the term, this would be an approach.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:39 AM
  • can that be done in an Expression Web page? It is exactly what I need to do.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Yes, it can be done if  IF you are using a web hosting company that supports ASP.NET.  Do you?

If you have the development server installed on your local pc you can set it all up locally and when you have it working, ftp the site up to your webhost.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:01 PM
  • can that be done in an Expression Web page? It is exactly what I need to do.

If you mean, "Can it be done in Expression Web, by Expression Web, without needing to use a programming language?", then, no, it can't. What Clark is describing uses EW's support for ASP.NET, using either VB.NET or C# as programming language.

EW is an HTML and CSS editor, not a spreadsheet or database management application. While it does provide significantly better out-of-the-box support, via ASP.NET, for the kind of thing you're looking for than, say, Dreamweaver, it is primarily a Web design tool, and not a data manipulation tool.

Check out Clark's tutorials. Many visitors here have found them very useful, and you may also. Just be aware that this is not a Web development function, and that the more complex and advanced your data needs, the greater the learning curve you will face in attaining them, and the more likely it will be that you will want to use VWDE or VS instead.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:57 PM
  • I am switching to a a company that supports ASP.NET as I cannot even run a simple database query form without it without knowing a lot more about database connectors than I do. I will check out the tutorials. I am not in a position to learn programming at this point in time. I need a fairly straighforward solution.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 6:07 AM
  • I'm not sure that I follow your meaning here. You intend to switch to a Windows server for ASP.NET support, and that's fine; you will then be able to use the ASP.NET controls in EW. But, then you say, "... I cannot even run a simple database query form without it without knowing a lot more about database connectors than I do."

You re still going to have to know something about what you are doing, you know, including such things as connection strings and how to determine them and set them up. ASP.NET is not MS Access, although Access data sources are among the many types it can manage. ASP.NET is a framework, one which allows you to use either C# or VB.NET to create applications.

But, it is still a programming environment. You can get a good deal done using properties settings and so forth, but once you go beyond the most basic of functionality, you are looking at writing some code. And that means learning some programming, even if it is only basics. I just don't want you to get the idea that, just because you have ASP.NET available, you'll be able to point, click, drag, and invoke wizards to produce your application as if you were in Access, unless the application is very basic indeed.

Check out the learning resources at Clark's site, particularly the Scott Mitchell book. It's for ASP.NET 2.0, so can be gotten cheaply at Amazon, but everything in it applies equally to later ASP.NET versions. I have it, too, and can personally add my own recommendation to Clark's.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 3:16 PM