none
Excel Workbooks with Macros Cause Crashes with an HP Officejet J4680c All-in-One (scan, fax, print and copy) Printer RRS feed

• Question

• My Excel crashes when I use my HP Officejet J4680c All-in-One (scan, fax, print and copy) printer.  I am using Office 2010 Home and Business with an IBM X200s laptop, Type/Model No. 7465-CTO, with factory installed Windows 7.  The problem was occurring when I was using Office 2007 and after I upgraded to Office 2010 in December 2010. For spreadsheets larger than, say, 2-4 MB, with macros, when I use the Scaling,  Adjust to % of normal size function and the Print Preview in the Page Setup window (so I get the fullest and most readable printed page), and then try to save the spreadsheet, Excel crashes.

I suspect that the problem may be related to the HP Officejet J4680c All-in-One (scan, fax, print and copy) printer software because:

1.     I don’t recall having this issue when I was using my HP Deskjetjet 6940 printer before I began using the J4680 in January 2010.

2.     I recently tried substituting, using Remove device in the Devices and Printers window, my old HP Deskjetjet 6940 as the default printer in place of the HP Officejet J4680c and the problem didn’t occur.

3.     I recently tried substituting, using Remove device in the Devices and Printers window, the Microsoft XPS Document Writer as the default printer in place of the HP Officejet J4680c and the problem didn’t occur.

In a recent phone discussion with an HP technical assistance rep I was told they were not familiar with the problem and had no solution. I notice on the HP website that a software update for the HP Officejet J4680c All-in-One was made available in November, 2010 but I have not installed it. I began using my HP Officejet J4680c in January 2010.

Could it have anything to do with an incompatibility between Office (or Excel) and the software for the J4680c printer?

Regards,

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:35 PM