none
Legacy Application and .NET web application RRS feed

• Question

• My company has a home-grown Fortran program build on Unix AIX 5.3.  Is it at all possible to call a windows or web application from Fortran and pass values to a windows GUI? The only logic that needs to take place in the windows/web app is to pass the result back to the Fortran code which will then manipulate the data and pass it back or call another Fortran program to perform some action.  What I'm looking for is really a way to pass-thru without data binding.  There is no database other than an old ISAM database that the Fortran code controls.  What we currently use is a product called WinFast which you can see at www.gowinfast.com.  It is very limited so I was hoping there was a way to use Visual Studio to do something similar.  Anyone have any feedback on this option?
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:38 PM

Answers

• It appears that your Fortran program is using a remote terminal connection to connect to growinfast.  The growinfast is emulating a unix shell server.  There are a few different types of Unix shell environments so I'm not sure which one you are using.  There are many products on the market that can be used to replace the growinfast that may do what you want without developing your own application.

The Fortan program is a TCP client application which connects to a unix like shell application (a TCP server) that process the commands and displays the results.  Yes you can write your own TCP server in VS to replace the gowninfast server program.

jdweng

Sunday, July 14, 2013 1:39 PM

All replies

• It appears that your Fortran program is using a remote terminal connection to connect to growinfast.  The growinfast is emulating a unix shell server.  There are a few different types of Unix shell environments so I'm not sure which one you are using.  There are many products on the market that can be used to replace the growinfast that may do what you want without developing your own application.

The Fortan program is a TCP client application which connects to a unix like shell application (a TCP server) that process the commands and displays the results.  Yes you can write your own TCP server in VS to replace the gowninfast server program.

jdweng

Sunday, July 14, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Thank you, but I don't know how to write a TCP server...could you direct me to more information?
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:33 PM