Windows 8 Store App: Showing Ads between Groups in Grouped GridView (switching the GridView template?) RRS feed

• Question

• Cross posting from StackOverflow as I'm really stuck!

I am developing a win 8 store app and I have the main GridView list page, which is a grouped collection of items. It shows several groups in grids as you'd expect in the standard GroupedItems template.

What I wish to do is show Advertisements in between some of these groups.

I hoped to use a custom template for the GridView based on a template selector, but it appears this is not possible, because the GridView itself doesn't expose a templateselector for the grid (only the list items).

I also thought I could use the GridStyle selector to switch the style to one that shows an ad for the item template, but according to this thread (Select group style in gridview) this doesn't appear possible.

However, I KNOW that I've seen apps that do this; that have grouped gridviews in line with an add inserted between some of them.

How is this done?

Do I need to create a dummy gridview item with a single item and style THAT items template? that's doable, but it feels like I should be able to do this directly on the grid.

any ideas? thanks!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:14 AM

All replies