Custom workflow steps in SP designer 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am facing weird issue with my custom workflow created in SharePoint designer 2007.

I have created 3 steps where step one collects information from another list, second and third workflow do conditional checks and perform actions.

The issue I’ am facing is when I create a new item, step one successfully executes and doesn’t perform the conditions in second step and workflow status changes to complete. But when I edit the same item everything goes fine as expected. I mean when editing the existing item all steps executes step by step as expected.

This is driving me crazy as not able to find the cause, please help.

Thanks,

Manish
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:06 PM

Answers

• If I understand this correctly

• You are making changes to some item on basis of which the calculate column value changes
    • Then you check the value of this calculated column to perform further actions?

If thats the case then it will not work. Also please tell the difference in flow when item is editted.

Shubham Goyal
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please provide more details like when workflow start and what check do you provide in step1?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Hi Manish,

I have a test in my local server, I’m sorry that I cannot reproduce your issue. The workflow will not stop automatically because of the situation of new an item or edit an item by default.

Please check the conditions of the workflow steps, and compare the differences between new an item and edit the item, you can also provide your workflow settings if convenient.

Thanks,
    Qiao

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

After some more investigation i have found that the calculated column is the culprit. unless you use calculated column to populates it data from other list with the help of same workflow everything works fine but once you use that the workflow behaves unexpected.

Calculated column is using value from different list which is called using "set field in current item” in workflow. Basically this is a number field and on basis on this number the second and third steps executes which is not happening.

Please suggest where iam doing wrong.

Thanks,

Manish
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:16 PM
  • If I understand this correctly

• You are making changes to some item on basis of which the calculate column value changes
    • Then you check the value of this calculated column to perform further actions?

If thats the case then it will not work. Also please tell the difference in flow when item is editted.

Shubham Goyal
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Thanks Shubham,

Yes you are right, on basis of column1, coulmn2 value is calculated and the calculated column2 value is used to perform further actions.

Also there is no difference in "EDIT" flow both new item and edit flow remains same.

Manish
    Monday, October 17, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Hello,

That is the reason you are facing the problem.

Tell me the excat flow you need to implement so that I can suggest a way around the calculated column issue.

Shubham Goyal
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:13 AM