Compare & Get Differences Between Two Word Documents RRS feed

• Question

• Hello my friends,
    I can compare 2 word documents and can create the result document with the codes described here .
    But we want to get only differences between 2 word documents because we want to synchronize these documents' binary data in a merge replication system. So we just want to synchronize the difference and after that we want to merge this difference and the old version to create the new document programmatically.

How can i do this? How can we get only the difference and after that can merge?

Regards.
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:55 AM not VSTO-related (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Friday, May 1, 2009 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi sourvil

Which version of Word are we talking about? Which version of VSTO are you using, and which programming language?
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

I think the Word version is not important because i save the content of the Word document into a (SQL Server 2005) nvarchar(max) column. So I can read also the content and can save this content as .doc or .docx to compare.
    I use Visual Studio 2005 Dev. Edition and vb.net in a windows form application.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:40 AM
  • I think the version of Word is very important if you're talking about using Word's built-in facilities to do the comparison. As you've posted in the VSTO forum - VSTO is a technology that runs in-process with the Office application - that would be the logical assumption.

If that's not what you want to do, then you are definitely way off-topic in the VSTO forum. And in that case you don't provide anywhere near enough information about what exactly it is you want to do.

I'm guessing that the assistance you require may be found in the forums that discuss the openxml and the older, proprietary file formats. You'll find links to both in the VSTO forum's Please Read First message.
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:54 AM