How to pass a link to a new form in a list? RRS feed

• Question

• In my html page I generate a link and part of the link is a base_64 encoded string. So for example the link is like

http://mydomain/test.html?Data=<base_64_string>

where <base_64_string> is the encoded string.

Now I want to pass this link to a new form of a list.

I try to pass it when attaching this link to '&RootFolder=', but when I load the new form, i get:

Error 

An 
    unexpected error has occurred.

Web 
    Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to 
    temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, 
    contact your site administrator.

I then tried encoding the link (where part of it is already encoded), and attaching it to '&RootFolder=' like before, and this time the new form loaded ok, i then used javascript to extract the link, then tried decoding it and it looked nothing like

http://mydomain/test.html?Data=<base_64_string>

I think sharepoint is doing something weird to my data.

Does anyone know a way i could fix this?

Monday, July 9, 2012 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi ryands,

I don't think use query string to transfer a bas_64 encoded string is a good way, it may cause URL parsing chaos.  So i suggest you use session or cookie transer the data.
    If you want to check if  SharePoint doing something werid to your data, you can simulation a page without using SharePoint, and transer the data as you do above, and check if ok.

Thanks,
    Lhan Han
    • Marked as answer by Lhan Han Friday, July 20, 2012 2:59 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi ryands,

I don't think use query string to transfer a bas_64 encoded string is a good way, it may cause URL parsing chaos.  So i suggest you use session or cookie transer the data.
    If you want to check if  SharePoint doing something werid to your data, you can simulation a page without using SharePoint, and transer the data as you do above, and check if ok.

Thanks,
    Lhan Han
    • Marked as answer by Lhan Han Friday, July 20, 2012 2:59 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Hello,

can you please tell me from where you are passing this link?

Hiren Patel | Please click "Propose As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if this post has been useful to you.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:04 AM