none
I'm trying to make diceware generator. Need some help. RRS feed

• Question

• Well, the program is fully functional but there are few things that I need help with. 

First:

Dim myRand1As Integer 

myRand1 = generator.Next(11111, 66666)

This code should simulate the dice throw 5 times. But in this randomizer, I get 0,7,8 and 9 numbers which are not usable with diceware design.

Second:

I need somehow make a connection to my website's SQL that I can use same logins from the database that is registered with a forum. 

• Edited by Leakoni Tuesday, October 17, 2017 11:47 AM Some grammar fails -.- :D
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 11:45 AM

All replies

• Well, the program is fully functional but there are few things that I need help with. 

First:

Dim myRand1As Integer 

This code should simulate the dice throw 5 times. But in this randomizer, I get 0,7,8 and 9 numbers which are not usable with diceware design.

Second:

I need somehow make a connection to my website's SQL that I can use same logins from the database that is registered with a forum. 

Hi

Those two lines of code mean absolutely nothing!

Is 'Generator' defined as a 'New Random' somewhere?

You seem to want to assign a number between 11111 and  66666 to 'myRand1' - how does that relate to results of '0,7,8 and 9'?

Here is a snippet showing how to create a list of 100 random numbers between 1 and 6 inclusive.

Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On
    Public Class Form1
        Dim Generator As New Random
        Dim lst As New List(Of Integer)
        Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            ' create 100 random numbers between 1 and 6 inclusive
            For i As Integer = 1 To 100
                lst.Add(Generator.Next(1, 7))
            Next
        End Sub
    End Class
    BTW: start a new thread for a second question.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 12:19 PM
  • This code should simulate the dice throw 5 times. But in this randomizer, I get 0,7,8 and 9 numbers which are not usable with diceware design.

The Next method does not work how you have assumed it works.  The code you have posted will create a single random number between 11111 and 66666.  To get a sequence of five random numbers between 1 and 6 you need to call the Next method 5 times with arguments (1,7).

Your second question should be posted in a new thread, and probably in a more suitable forum with much more detail.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:43 PM

First:

Dim myRand1As Integer 

Second:

Module Module1
        Dim RNG As New Random
        Sub Main()
            Dim resp As String = ""
            Do
                For roll = 0 To 4
                    Console.Write(RNG.Next(1, 7).ToString & vbTab)
                    Console.WriteLine(RNG.Next(1, 7).ToString)
                Next
                Console.WriteLine("Again (Y/N)")
                resp = Console.ReadLine
            Loop Until resp.ToLower = "n"
        End Sub
    End Module

That's possibly a start.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:39 PM
  • Hi Leakoni,

If you want to get random number from 1 to 6, and show 5 time, you can refer to the following code:

Dim random As New Random()
    Dim i As Integer
            For i = 0 To 4
                MsgBox(Convert.ToString(random.Next(1, 7)))
            Next

About your second problem, I am not sure what problem it is, please provide more detailed info about this problem.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Stanly Fan Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:51 AM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:45 AM