none
Forum Issues

General discussion

• I contacted MSFTMod@microsoft.com this morning since it appears nothing is being done with the current state of this and all the other forums.

Hopefully they will resolve this issues soon.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:24 PM

All replies

• I contacted MSFTMod@microsoft.com this morning since it appears nothing is being done with the current state of this and all the other forums.

Hopefully they will resolve this issues soon.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thanks

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:18 PM
  • I've been seeing a difference, anyone else?

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:25 AM

VB Forums - moderator

Hi

I am seeing a trickle of posts/replies but not as many as I would have expected. Some posts seem to be arriving long after being sent.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:06 AM

A small step up from the complete lack of activity of the last few days, but definitely not back to normal.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0989b461-9347-4146-87f9-bf4c7bcaf64d

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:19 AM
  • Have received notification that the issue has been resolved. If anyone feels that there are still issues please let me know and I will convey this back to the support team.

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:07 PM
  • It seems that all the forums (at least the ones I frequent) have problems.  This has been going on for at least a week.  I get sporadic notifications but the worst is that I get a notification and the thread hasn't actually been updated (at least not what the forum shows.

At the same time I wish they would change the format to use the entire screen.  I think the days of 640x480 are long gone.

Lloyd Sheen

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:15 PM
  • Have received notification that the issue has been resolved. If anyone feels that there are still issues please let me know and I will convey this back to the support team.

VB Forums - moderator

This afternoon I was getting 404 errors.  Obviously not now.

"Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." - MSDN User JohnWein    Multics - An OS ahead of its time.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:28 PM
  • This afternoon I was getting 404 errors.  Obviously not now.

Came back at about the same time here.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:33 PM
  • Hi

It seemed that all was well - at least for a while, but then started getting 404 and 502 errors. As of this post, seems it is back again.

• Edited by leshay Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:36 PM typo
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:36 PM

• At the same time I wish they would change the format to use the entire screen.  I think the days of 640x480 are long gone.

Browser >> Customize >>  Zoom setting  175%

The forum page fills my screen and font is nice and large.

Pride is the most destructive force in the universe

Friday, April 28, 2017 12:18 AM

VB Forums - moderator

This afternoon I was getting 404 errors.  Obviously not now.

"Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." - MSDN User JohnWein    Multics - An OS ahead of its time.

Very slow!

Friday, April 28, 2017 12:50 PM
  • Even today, on several threads, I cannot reply unless I close the TAB and reopen it once or twice. Not this one though.

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:29 PM
  • Even today, on several threads, I cannot reply unless I close the TAB and reopen it once or twice. Not this one though.

I've said before and will again -- the people who designed this forum don't use it; if they did they'd never stand for it.

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:45 PM
  • Hi

Back to constant 404 and 502 errors - do these people really work for MS!

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:57 PM
  • I have read several replies where 404 error was mentioned and 502. Since this started about one week or so ago the only issue I've experienced were threads not updating when viewing all threads.

After contacting Microsoft the thread issue not updating, at least for me was resolved.

Personally, I've not had issues with slowness or web errors. I'm using Chrome and Chrome canary with an add-in for COR issues, perhaps that is why I'm not having issues.

COR add-in for chrome which resolved an issue on another Microsoft site last November.

VB Forums - moderator

Friday, April 28, 2017 11:19 PM
  • I was out of the office and could not respond to the forum support but once back at work they had responded with "try it now, the issues should be fixed" last Friday.

Personally I have been fine all weekend.

VB Forums - moderator

Monday, May 1, 2017 12:51 PM
  • Have noticed 502 errors this morning, have reported this back to the support team.

VB Forums - moderator

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 1:25 PM
  • Have noticed 502 errors this morning, have reported this back to the support team.

VB Forums - moderator

I noticed that too.

Are they changing the forum [again]?

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 1:29 PM
  • No idea Frank.

VB Forums - moderator

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:11 PM
  • This is my issue currently.  Since Sunday afternoon.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:20 PM

• This is my issue currently.  Since Sunday afternoon.

Yea that would be an issue!

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:04 PM
  • @Dbasnett about issue since sunday

Yea that is something many here have to deal with sometimes. 

I hope the foundation (base) is well and you were able to get everything on time on the first floor. 

Good Luck

Cor

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

402s 502s and even this:

Regards,

Thorsten

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:38 PM
  • My guess is they are actively working on it from what I see in the web config file setting. Thanks for mentioning this.

VB Forums - moderator

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Also, occasionally:

502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.

There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.

• Edited by AcamarMVP Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:21 AM fmt
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:21 AM
  • Also, occasionally:

502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.

There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.

Me too about 30 minutes ago.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 2:11 AM
  • Hi

Lots of 502's here interspersed with normality. Must be half way through fixing it as the 404's seem to have been dealt with.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 3:03 AM
  • I will continue to send these issues to the support team.

VB Forums - moderator

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Hi

Had a few hours of normal use, but now back to 502's - about 4 of 5 requests get a 502, and if not, then same 4 of 5 tries to get into a thread. Needed a few tries to post this.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:37 PM
  • 404's and when it is working it is ssslllllllooooooowwwwwww.  Maybe they should port this app to a Linux based system  ;)

Thursday, May 4, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Points dont increase, points-list in profile page is not updated.

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, May 4, 2017 5:37 PM
  • As long as we are talking it seems I cant save an animated gif that has been posted on the forum. It sure seems like I used to do that? I just get one frame and save as dialog only has .png .bmp options.

ie I cant save these (rmb click on image, select save from menu, IE 11):

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/2b0e4b02-fd85-4f89-aedd-e7af91d32dfb/gif-animation-slows-down?forum=vbgeneral

Thursday, May 4, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this.

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:23 PM
  • BTW, do you receive email notifications? I havent for the last hours, eg. for replies in this thread.

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, May 4, 2017 9:35 PM
  • I have not seen any either. Will report this too.

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:36 PM
  • wow, these are really difficult conditions now... no wonder that people are leaving these forums...

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, May 4, 2017 11:08 PM
  • If you click on "MSDN Library" at the top - it's dead.

I was looking for Date/Time formatting... guess that I'll wing it.

Monday, May 8, 2017 10:56 AM
  • The forum is now not direct showing new added messages (after a while they show up). 

Success
    Cor

Sunday, May 14, 2017 11:11 AM
  • The forum is now not direct showing new added messages (after a while they show up). 

Success
    Cor

Thanks!

VB Forums - moderator

Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Hi

Seems the forum is going crazy again.

This time it is the post listings that are mixed up in some way. For example, a post I have an Alert set for shows up in my Unread list as 50 minutes old, but the main forum list has the last post in the same thread as 7 1/2 hours old.

If I open the thread, it shows all the posts including those in my Unread list (seems up to date).

Closing that view and returning to the main forum then the list still shows that thread last post as 7 1/2 hours old.

EDIT: this post is not showing as the last reply in this thread (on the main forum list), even though it is present when opening the thread.

• Edited by leshay Monday, May 15, 2017 8:51 PM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 8:49 PM
  • Update

Thread sync issue has been mitigated but replies count seems to be having issue, we have updated our engineering team to resolve it soon.

Will let you updated as soon as we get an update from them.

VB Forums - moderator

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Update

Thread sync issue has been mitigated but replies count seems to be having issue, we have updated our engineering team to resolve it soon.

Will let you updated as soon as we get an update from them.

VB Forums - moderator

Thanks

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Karen,

The forum has stopped updating again.

I get the e-mails and the history shows up correctly, but the page isn't being updated and looks to have not been in several hours now.

Thanks

Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Hi

Is the forum working and nobody posting - or - is the forum acting up again?

Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:57 PM
  • I Contacted support 20 minutes ago, they just got back to me, all should be fine, let me know if it's not.

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:08 PM
  • more times seen today

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:45 AM
  • Thanks Cor, saw this myself and contacted support. They got right back to me and said it was being handled.

VB Forums - moderator

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:22 PM
  • more times seen today

Success
    Cor

Me too.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:14 PM
  • more times seen today

Success
    Cor

Me too.

Hi

I hate these 'me too' posts,  but, ME TOO!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:18 PM
  • I hate these 'me too' posts,  but, ME TOO!

>I hate these 'me too' posts,  

Et moi aussi.

>but, ME TOO!

Ditto! As at May 23 2017 9:25 PM EDT

>They got right back to me and said it was being handled.

They should stop handling it and fix it so the rest of us get a chance
    to play with it.

- Wayne

• Edited by WayneAKing Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:32 AM EDT
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:31 AM
  • Hi

J'aimerais qu'ils retirent leurs doigts

wonder if google translation did a good job :)

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:45 AM
  • J'aimerais qu'ils retirent leurs doigts

wonder if google translation did a good job :)

Hilarious.

Using https://www.bing.com/Translator

J'aimerais qu'ils retirent leurs doigts

translates as

"I wish they'd pull their fingers off"

Whereas

J'aimerais qu'ils tirent leurs doigts

translates as

"I wish they'd pull their fingers"

Which may be closer to the intended expression with an implicit "out"
    at the end. (No pun intended.)

- Wayne

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:02 AM

• I hate these 'me too' posts,  but, ME TOO!

Yea I would've expected "Me as weel" as my Dutch to Scottish translator tells. 

:-)

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:09 AM
  • Yea I would've expected "Me as weel" as my Dutch to Scottish translator tells. 

Success
    Cor

Hi

LOL, 'me as weel' is more accurate that my french translation :)

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:00 PM
  • I don't know if this "counts" or not, but it seems that this forum isn't updating correctly. I've stopped getting e-mails as of some time last night or today.

I can't prove a negative, but I am getting other e-mails, so...

Friday, May 26, 2017 5:59 PM
  • I don't know if this "counts" or not, but it seems that this forum isn't updating correctly. I've stopped getting e-mails as of some time last night or today.

Hi,

yes, here too. I didnt receive any mails today. So eg I'm not informed of your post above.

Im slowly getting angry about these forums and the way they are maintained...

Regards,

Thorsten

Friday, May 26, 2017 6:11 PM

• Hi,

yes, here too. I didnt receive any mails today. So eg I'm not informed of your post above.

Regards,

Thorsten

I've said before that the people who designed this forum can't be people who use it because if they were, they'd never stand for it.

This has happened every time there's been any sort of major change to the forum (not that we're ever asked or even advised about it until it's done) and that's my bigger worry, honestly.

Friday, May 26, 2017 6:20 PM

• Hi,

Regards,

Thorsten

It's not just here -- not something I normally even look at but it's stopped adding points too.

Friday, May 26, 2017 7:03 PM
  • Let's see how long that takes to update...

Friday, May 26, 2017 7:03 PM
  • Yes and that all around updates for a pointing system, where you get 100 points for a lousy VB6 contribution to the so called Guru (On IS principles based) website and 15 points for an extremely good Visual Studio 2017 cloud contribution in these forums.  

Success
    Cor

Friday, May 26, 2017 7:17 PM

Hi,

Regards,

Thorsten

I contacted support roughly 1.5 hours ago, have not heard anything back yet.

VB Forums - moderator

Friday, May 26, 2017 7:37 PM

• I contacted support roughly 1.5 hours ago, have not heard anything back yet.

VB Forums - moderator

Thank you

Friday, May 26, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Support finally got back to me, all they said was "it's a know issue we are working on".

VB Forums - moderator

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Support finally got back to me, all they said was "it's a know issue we are working on".

VB Forums - moderator

Thank you

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:49 AM

When I was in the USA an uncle of mine told me once showing a new road construction in progress:

"They are busy with that road 20 years and it will never finish.

They are paid to work on it." 

Success
    Cor

Monday, May 29, 2017 12:27 PM
  • 502 Errors today

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 6:26 PM
  • 502 Errors today

It sure is getting annoying, over the past few days I have heard little from support other than they have known issues. I will keep on them as at this point the site is unusable for many.

VB Forums - moderator

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:54 PM
  • Hi all,

does anyone know how long the email problem will take? Its more than 5 days now... Also in my Browser the field for showing the user  that wrote a message (in each post --> "whats the use that wrote the current message") keeps being blank from time to time...

Regards,

Thorsten

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:05 PM
  •  I have been experiencing the 502`s and the blank user today too.  I also had problems trying to post an image a few minutes ago too.  Like i said the other day in another thread of Frank`s,  the forum seems to be like a drunk,  one step forward and two steps backward.
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:15 PM
  • Déjà vu again ... this has happened before...

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:18 PM
  • I just sent an email to Microsoft office indicating the current issues over the past few weeks, perhaps that might help getting things resolved.

VB Forums - moderator

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Today is even more pathetic than usual.  I would love to hear from someone in MS rather than hiding behind others.  Do they even care about how terrible these forums are these days?

Lloyd Sheen

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:25 PM
  • Just got an influx of emails for forum alerts, hopefully this stays working.

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:12 AM

VB Forums - moderator

Here also.

Maybe the spell has been broken. ;-)

Thursday, June 1, 2017 10:44 AM

VB Forums - moderator

Here also.

Perhaps

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, June 1, 2017 10:59 AM

VB Forums - moderator

Here also.

Perhaps

VB Forums - moderator

For some reason on this thread the posters names are not shown at the bottom of the post but the others threads I looked at do. Perhaps this discussion thread does not show the posters name below the post for some reason?

Thursday, June 1, 2017 12:30 PM
  •  Stranger yet,  i made the post shown in the image below yesterday.  I swear that my user name and avatar image was shown on the bottom right of that post yesterday but,  today it is showing me as "MigrationUser 1" for some reason.  In case this post does the same thing,  this is IronRazerz.  I looked at my other posts i made yesterday and they all show me as IronRazerz with the correct avatar image.

EDIT:  I just refreshed the page and now none of them are showing again... Blank...

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Edited by IronRazerz Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:47 PM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:43 PM
  •  Stranger yet,  i made the post shown in the image below yesterday.  I swear that my user name and avatar image was shown on the bottom right of that post yesterday but,  today it is showing me as "MigrationUser 1" for some reason.  In case this post does the same thing,  this is IronRazerz.  I looked at my other posts i made yesterday and they all show me as IronRazerz with the correct avatar image.

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Booooo....

I am the ghost of Microsoft past trying to communicate with yooooouuuuu...

LOL

PS Oh shoot now the names are back?

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Can be I did something wrong, but currently with Google I've to retype everytime my username and password. 

New for me is that it can also be used with a Skype password, is this only with me?

(I did play a little bit with the Yandex browser settings)

Success
    Cor

Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:06 PM
  • Can be I did something wrong, but currently with Google I've to retype everytime my username and password. 

New for me is that it can also be used with a Skype password, is this only with me?

Success
    Cor

Looks like the e-mails are out again too.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:10 PM
  • I just reported the issue again

VB Forums - moderator

Thursday, June 8, 2017 6:58 PM
  • I just reported the issue again

VB Forums - moderator

Thanks

Thursday, June 8, 2017 11:14 PM
  • Your very welcome Frank, I dislike for those coming here to learn ending up having to deal with these issues.

VB Forums - moderator

Friday, June 9, 2017 12:09 AM
  • Your very welcome Frank, I dislike for those coming here to learn ending up having to deal with these issues.

VB Forums - moderator

Yea. They're up to something though. If they weren't, they wouldn't have to keep "fixing" it.

Who knows what though...

Friday, June 9, 2017 12:14 AM

Success
    Cor

Karen,

This one was just something because I changed something in my browser. 

Success
    Cor

Friday, June 9, 2017 10:39 AM
  • What the heck was that?  Couldn't get to any of the social.msdn.microsoft.com sites!!!

Monday, June 12, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Hi

Just posted a new question in VisualBasic forum (Audio issue) and it seems to be in limbo.

It appears in My Threads, but not in Visual Basic forum view.

Here is a view of My Threads

and here is a view of the Visual Basic forum at the time it should be shown (it isn't further up/down from this view either)

It seems to be visible to others as the 'view' count has changed accordingly.

EDIT: this post (reply) does show as normal in Visual Basic view.

• Edited by leshay Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:38 PM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

no email notifications for me today (again...)... arrgghh :-(

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

no email notifications for me today (again...)... arrgghh :-(

Regards,

Thorsten

... now I received one single mail for the newest reply to one of my threads... maybe its working from now on again ...

Regards,

Thorsten

Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

again, Forums not working correctly... no email notifications, views are incorrect (dont display correct number of replies to the threads)...

0 replies? Actually me and Viorel_ have posted messages to this thread

Regards,

Thorsten

Sunday, July 2, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Hi

How long is it going to take until the forum is actually working correctly?

I posted a reply to a thread and although it is actually there if you open the topic, the display shows no replies.

This isn't a new issue either, it has been happening on and off for a while now.

EDIT: even this reply didn't show up, even the thread didn't show up. Totally useless and frustrating!

EDIT2: now it shows up after the first EDIT - do we have to jump through hoops to make any progress?

EDIT3: yes, I went to the post I initially mentioned, went to edit mode, resubmitted without any changes and lo and behold, it now shows the thread as having a reply.

• Edited by leshay Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Moreover Less, 

It does not show up direct in with what you're busy in "Activities" . I used that as quick entrance for with what I was busy. 

It is really frustrating to see what happens

On Dutch media they wrote already by the way. 

"Microsoft,  dat is het bedrijf achter Windows .."

Translated it is

"Microsoft, that is the firm behind Windows...."

It seems younger people looks different to Microsoft than we did and this kind of quality of communication will not make that better. 

(Yes in Amsterdam it means translated something different, I don't know if they used that term deliberately.) 

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:43 AM
  • Yes. It seems related to the activity. I noticed the threads I posted yesterday were in my thread list but not my activity list. No emails either.

What is frustrating is we attempt to communicate the problems but it falls on deaf ears.

I notice lots of unrelated editor malfunctions.

I was pointed to the forum issues forum to post problems which I did a couple weeks ago. First time the problem was moved to off topic. Second time I was treated like an idiot and told 'it should work" ... try another browser, computer, etc.

Like I said before if its not a phone or a cloud I dont think anyone at MS is interested.

Seems we have three choices. Accept as is. Or go away. Or go away mad.

:)

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:48 AM
  • I keep reporting the issues :-(

VB Forums - moderator

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 12:28 PM

Karen et al,

Yes. Thank you. I don't think anyone pointing fingers at the moderators... on the vb forum.

:)

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 12:53 PM

VB Forums - moderator

Hi Karen

Thanks for your continued efforts.

You have done as much as you can, but the information you get from MS is sadly lacking. If they(?) would provide a synopsis of what is happening, it would go a long way towards quelling the frustration.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:19 PM

VB Forums - moderator

Hi

I am seeing a trickle of posts/replies but not as many as I would have expected. Some posts seem to be arriving long after being sent.

I believe that the borderwall is affecting the internet also according to Nancy Pelosis staff which contacted me directly about this when it began occurring. And only international posts are affected unless they have visas digitally signed in them.

La vida loca

Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:18 PM
  • I don't know if the temperature causes it (here in Europe is Hot), but the forum is constantly unavailable. 

Success
    Cor

Friday, July 21, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

[Just a side note:]

Does anybody know, why a direct link to the Off-Topic forum will give a view of the thread that is so much better than the "normal" view of this and other forums???

link:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/52968726-4597-4175-81ef-bb09179ce4a6/how-to-detect-shape-of-bottle?forum=Offtopic

pics:

direct link:

navigated from an other forums view:

Regards,

Thorsten

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:13 AM
  • I've made a reply to TatoPro, when I open it, it is there, but it is not in presentation of this thread

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:56 PM
  • I've made a reply to TatoPro, when I open it, it is there, but it is not in presentation of this thread

Success
    Cor

Seems I need to see what's going on  

VB Forums - moderator

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:01 PM