none
Is it exceptable to remove Child records from BASE EDI schema's? RRS feed

• Question

• EDI Novice question:
    I am using the 837_P _Multi and there are many child records that I don't think I will ver use in the output. 
    Is it ok to remove them from the schema as long as I keep the remaining records in perfect form?
    (IE not moving anything I use, so the xslt pathing would stay the same, just deleting children)

I wanted to make it easier to read for my co-workers, but wanted to make sure that it would still process out the EDI pipeline.

Mark Rowe \n Admin IrTech.Net
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:11 PM

Answers

• Mark, The Out-Of-Box edi schemas which could modify in BizTalk editor but it is not possible for some HIPAA schemas. If you want to edit these HIPAA guys then you can try with notepad.

Thanks, Raja
    • Marked as answer by Mark.Rowe Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Yes, you can remove elements of the schemas as long as you can be sure the message will not need them.

This is one way of reducing the size of the EDI schemas which are often very large (many MB), especially in their compiled form. Most implementations of the EDI schemas also only use a small portion of the message standards so it is a good idea to do this for improving performance and manageability.

Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    • Proposed as answer by Genuine Basil Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:08 PM

All replies

• Mark, The Out-Of-Box edi schemas which could modify in BizTalk editor but it is not possible for some HIPAA schemas. If you want to edit these HIPAA guys then you can try with notepad.

Thanks, Raja
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Yes, you can remove elements of the schemas as long as you can be sure the message will not need them.

This is one way of reducing the size of the EDI schemas which are often very large (many MB), especially in their compiled form. Most implementations of the EDI schemas also only use a small portion of the message standards so it is a good idea to do this for improving performance and manageability.

Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    • Proposed as answer by Genuine Basil Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Ben/Raja,

The HIPAA 837 P schemas in the BizTalk Server 2009, does not contain certain elements that are need by my business. XML elements like ISA (Interchange control header) , GS (Functional Group header) and thier corresponding trailers are not available in the latest version of BizTalk. Can I just add them by editing the schema in my project?

Is there any other way?

Thanks,
    Ram.
    Ram
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:01 PM