none
Unrecognized Database Error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing a database application in VS2010 using a .accdb file created in Access 2010.  On my development machine everything works great.  I move the application and the database file over to a different machine and I get OleDbException 0x80004005; Unrecognized database format.  Can't seem to figure out what needs to be installed to fix the problem.

thanks,

LaneLR

• Moved by 许阳(无锡) Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:14 AM ADO.NET issue (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:23 PM

Answers

• The only other thing I noticed in the connection string is that the database name (Data Source) is surrounded by double quotes. There should be no double quotes.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, December 26, 2012 2:08 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi LaneLR,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that your issue will better support at ADO.NET DataSet Forum. I would recommend you post at that place.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:09 AM
  • Hi Lanel,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Please check whether you have installed Access Database Engine 2010 on this machine: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

Second, please check whether platform(x86, x64) of this machine is same as the previous one.

Good day.

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:37 AM
  • I did install the Access Database Engine 2010 on the other machine.  Both machines are 64-bit running Windows 7.  The development platform is set to x86 and the target framework is set to .NET Framework 4 Client Profile in the project settings.

LaneLR

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Which OLEDB Provider is being used in the connection string to the database?

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:28 PM
  • My connection string is:

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source="C:\sbbc.accdb";Persist Security Info=False

LaneLR

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Can you open the database from Microsoft Access?

One other possible issue is that if you are working with Vista or Windows 7 or 8, the root of the drive is typically not available for write access. The file should be placed elsewhere, such as a Documents subfolder.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Yes, I can open it with Access 2010.  I should have noted that the path to the file was changed just for the forum reply.  The path is actually set to the installation directory of the application.

LaneLR

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:47 PM
  • The only other thing I noticed in the connection string is that the database name (Data Source) is surrounded by double quotes. There should be no double quotes.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, December 26, 2012 2:08 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:43 PM