persistance of uploaded files on Azure Website RRS feed

• Question

• My application (soon to run on an Azure website) supports different 'accounts' which can be added by and administrator from time to time.  Each account can have its own theme which is implemented by a directory containing style sheet and image assets.

When I create a new account I want my designer to be able to upload the theme to a new directory, rather than have me re-deploy the app.

I expect I could do this through FTP, accessed from the web site console.  HOwever, I'm not sure how persistent this is.  If I change the site from shared to reserved, or increase the number of instances, do any files I've specifically ftp'd get copied?  If I have several instances do I have a separate FTP location for each one?  If I upload my new directory to one, does it get copied?

Thanks

Iain

Iain Downs

• Moved by BrentDaCodeMonkey Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:44 PM more appropriate forum (From:Windows Azure Development)
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you considered using Blob storage for storing these items? That will provide you with persistant storage that will not be affected by changes in the application hosting configuration. If the blobs are public you can access then with an HTTP request, so it will work fine for images and style sheets.

Regards,

Alan

Free EBook: "Windows Azure Service Bus Developer Guide" http://www.cloudcasts.net/devguide/

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you considered using Blob storage for storing these items? That will provide you with persistant storage that will not be affected by changes in the application hosting configuration. If the blobs are public you can access then with an HTTP request, so it will work fine for images and style sheets.

Regards,

Alan

Free EBook: "Windows Azure Service Bus Developer Guide" http://www.cloudcasts.net/devguide/

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:33 PM
  • The content of your site are centralized managed. Each instance connect to the contnet folder using UNC share mode.

So no matter shared or reserved, instance 1 or instance 2, they are connecting the same content folder.

I strongly suggest you consider Alan's suggestion, thanks.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:57 AM
  • THanks, Alan an WZhao.

So if I upload files via ftp they will be available to all instances?  Great!

Blobs are worth a consideration.  I'm trying to keep changes down to a minimum though, but what you suggest makes sense.

Iain 

Iain Downs

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:37 AM
  • yup, that's correct. anything uplaoded via FTP is visible for all instance.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:53 AM