none
Using LDAPS with Forest.GetForest RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to retrieve all the domains in other forests than my own. 

When I'm using Forest.GetForest() I'm able to do so but using LDAP with port 389.

I would like to use the same functionality as Forest.GetForest() using LDAPS with port 636. Is it possible?

How Forest.GetForest() works? is it possible to simulate it to work with LDAPS?

*Important note - I would like to get the list of all the domains in the other forests using LDAPS without binding to each one of them if it is possible (same as Forest.GetForest() does).

Thank you,

Guy

• Edited by Guy Ziv Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:39 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hello,

>>I would like to use the same functionality as Forest.GetForest() using LDAPS with port 636. Is it possible?

As far as I  know, the LDAPS is a combination of LDAP and SSL, so it would still use the LDAP and I think you could still retrieve by the Forest.GetForest(), however, it uses the 636 port to transfer data which will protect the data.

>>How Forest.GetForest() works? is it possible to simulate it to work with LDAPS?

Since Microsoft makes the .NET open-sourced, you could check the source code:

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#System,namespaces

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

>>I would like to use the same functionality as Forest.GetForest() using LDAPS with port 636. Is it possible?

As far as I  know, the LDAPS is a combination of LDAP and SSL, so it would still use the LDAP and I think you could still retrieve by the Forest.GetForest(), however, it uses the 636 port to transfer data which will protect the data.

>>How Forest.GetForest() works? is it possible to simulate it to work with LDAPS?

Since Microsoft makes the .NET open-sourced, you could check the source code:

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#System,namespaces

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:48 AM
  • It only contains the class definition, Not the code behind the methods.. see:http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#System.DirectoryServices/System/DirectoryServices/ActiveDirectory/Forest.cs,22be1041568abc27
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:23 AM
  • It seems to be that... hope it is not a mistake...

You could still see the implemented code by some tools as reflector.

Friday, January 23, 2015 10:13 AM