none
m2t or not m2t RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am an asp.net C# developer new to Silverlight. I need to display high quality video via the web and chose to use SilverLight to stay in my .Net world. I requested the highest quality video output from the videographer saying that I would do all the encoding in Silverlight. I was given an m2t file that Expression encoder 4 can not import.
    1. My question is, is there a way to deal with the mt2 file in Expression Encoder?
    2. Should I request a different file type from the videographer and if so which one for best final quality?
    3. What is my best choice for final output video file type? (I want users to be able to view but not download)

Thanks for your help!
    colin
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:57 PM

Answers

• Thanks, the University purchased the educational version. I was able to get them to purchase a full retail license and once I enetered the key, everything began to work as expected.

Thanks again for all your help,
    colin

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:53 PM

All replies

• 1) M2TS support

The FAQ has a section concerning M2TS support

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/encoder/thread/3eabf903-b49f-4f92-b508-f28a795d6c90 

The Pro version adds:

• H.264 encoding (both MP4 and Smooth Streaming)
    • Live Smooth Streaming encoding
    • DRM
    • Native support of MP4/H.264, TS, M2TS, AVCHD, MPEG-2, ISM, ISMV, AAC and AC-3 files
    • Unlimited screen capture durations

It is possible using the free version of Encoder to cobble together import support of M2TS files using 3rd party codec packages.  Note that with the free version output is limited to the VC-1 codec. 

2) With the free version, try asking for a WMV file.

3) The most secure option is to encrypt the content using DRM --- which the Pro version supports -- that way even if someone downloads the content and passes to other users the content cannot be played.

Using the free version encoding to a Smooth Streaming profile makes it tedious to download the content that no one would do it "by hand" -- though techically someone could write a program to download all the Smooth Streaming "chunks" and stitch them together into a single file.   Note that Smooth Streaming requires the content be hosted on IIS server with the Media Extensions installed.

HTH

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Hi Colin,

1. Yes, m2t files are supported. But only if you're either running Encoder Pro or have a third-party codec installed on your computer.
    2. When I capture from my HDV cam this is the format I get (so it's basically "native" whioe not being entirely uncompressed.). Some cameras might provide the files in AVCHD. So depending on what he's doing with the footage before you get this might be the most "natural" to provide. Since you're transcoding at any rate it's not like it will help if he trancodes it to another lesser format before giving it to you.
    3. That depends really. Should it work on a number of platforms? Should it work over low-bandwidth connections? Do you have the computing power and storage capacity for multiple streams and formats? H264 is nice, but also requires the Pro version of Encoder.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Thanks for the help, waiting for the purchaser to get back from vacation for the University to buy pro for me. Was just doing a test with the trial version. Is version 5 due out soon?

Thanks again,

colin

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Thanks, I will have Pro soon and be able to continue then.
    Yes, the playback should support low-band width and multiple platforms and we have computing power and space for multiple steams and formats.
    It's an educational site and I am hopping to be able to make SilverLight fire text content changes at points along the timeline for notes, transcriptions,  etc...

colin
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Encoder 4 SP1 and the Silverlight player templates included with Encoder 4 SP1 include support for DFXP / TTML captioning for both conventional (WMV and MP4) files and Smooth Streaming content. 

http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/ 

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Hello,

I received Expression Studio Ultimate 4, uninstalled the trial version and reinstalled everything including Expression Encoder 4 Pro. However still no .m2t support!
    What am I missing here?

Thanks,
    colin

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Hello,

I received Expression Studio Ultimate 4, uninstalled the trial version and reinstalled everything including Expression Encoder 4 Pro. However still no .m2t support!
    What am I missing here?

The Video is showing up in windows explorer as AVCHD Video.

Thanks,
    colin

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Thanks, the University purchased the educational version. I was able to get them to purchase a full retail license and once I enetered the key, everything began to work as expected.

Thanks again for all your help,
    colin

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:53 PM