none
Target Office 2007 with VS2013 Project RRS feed

• Question

• I want to develop an addin for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The functionallity and UI are gonna be the same for all three applications.

1. I want the addin to support Office versions starting with Office 2007. How can I target Office 2007? My VS installation seems only to contain templates for 2010 and 2013. I only have Office 2007 installed.
    2. Since the shared AddIn template was removed, what is the best way to do what I want with the least amount of code duplication? Write a library with all the functionality and UI-controls and host them in 3 seperate projects for Word, Excel and PowerPoint?

https://fraktalysator.codeplex.com

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Argus

1. You need to install VS 2010 or earlier in order to create a VSTO add-in project for 2007. You can't make VS 2013 work with Office 2007. Or you need to install Office 2010 or 2013. If you use "Embed Interop types" an add-in created for 2010 or 2013 that does NOT use any features not in 2007, then the add-in will run in 2007.

2. Yes, create a library with the shared functionality; you'll need a separate VSTO add-in for each Office application.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by ArgusMagnus Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:54 PM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Hello ArgusMagnus,

The shared add-in template was removed from the list of available templates, but nobody forbids building them. I.e. you are free to develop such add-ins, you just need to implement the IDTExtensibility2 interface to get the add-in loaded. And IRibbonUI for the Fluent UI.  

Unfortunately VSTO doesn't allow developing multi host add-ins. However, you can support all Office versions starting from Office 2007+. You just need to set the target framework to .Net framework 4 or 4.5 and use PIAs corresponding to the lowest Office version you are going to support. You can read more about this in the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article in MSDN.  

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Argus

1. You need to install VS 2010 or earlier in order to create a VSTO add-in project for 2007. You can't make VS 2013 work with Office 2007. Or you need to install Office 2010 or 2013. If you use "Embed Interop types" an add-in created for 2010 or 2013 that does NOT use any features not in 2007, then the add-in will run in 2007.

2. Yes, create a library with the shared functionality; you'll need a separate VSTO add-in for each Office application.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Hello ArgusMagnus,

The shared add-in template was removed from the list of available templates, but nobody forbids building them. I.e. you are free to develop such add-ins, you just need to implement the IDTExtensibility2 interface to get the add-in loaded. And IRibbonUI for the Fluent UI.  

Unfortunately VSTO doesn't allow developing multi host add-ins. However, you can support all Office versions starting from Office 2007+. You just need to set the target framework to .Net framework 4 or 4.5 and use PIAs corresponding to the lowest Office version you are going to support. You can read more about this in the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article in MSDN.  

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Thanks for your quick answers!

https://fraktalysator.codeplex.com

Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:54 PM