none
Access Runtime Error

Question

• I have a local database that when opened in Access using the "C:Program Files......." /runtime shortcut, opens up just fine in runtime mode.  

When moving this database to an offsite server with Access Runtime 2010 installed, I receive the following error:

Execution of this application has stopped due to a run-time error.  The application can't continue and will be shut down.

I figured if the database opens fine in runtime mode stored locally, it shouldn't have a problem opening up on a remote server with Access Runtime installed.  Any ideas on what my potential fix could be?  I don't know much about Access, but I'm learning.

Thanks for you help.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:57 PM

Answers

• You should also implement error handling. See this link for more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc136539.aspx

MZ Tools has a great add-in that can help with adding error handling:

http://mztools.com/index.aspx

-- Scott McDaniel, Microsoft Access MVP

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:11 PM
  • As Scott wrote earlier, you really need error-trapping structure/code in every proc if you use Access Runtime so that you can analyze the error and avoid your sudden shut-down of your database application as per your original post.

In addition to the links supplied by Scott, I have posted similar links (including link to the MZ-Tools) regarding error-trapping in the recent MSDN thread:

Runtime error on XP machines

Van Dinh

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• The UNC path for the Tables maybe?

You really need to tell us more before we can begin to diagnose otherwise, we are really throwing darts in the dark.

Edit 20130624 10:50AM, Other Thoughts

Other thoughts are

1. Versions of Access 2010 the same
    2. Updates the Same
    3. Both are same bit (32 vs. 64)
    4. Multiple versions of Access installed on Server
    5. Normally the App you develop is designed to run on a local machine, are you trying to run it "on" the Server?

Chris Ward

• Edited by KCDW Monday, June 24, 2013 3:48 PM Edit 20130624 10:50AM, Other Thoughts
    Monday, June 24, 2013 3:45 PM
  • My money is on a broken reference. Your startup code should loop over the References collection, checking for IsBroken.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Have you set the Trusted Locations for the Access installation on the "server"?

If the database is not trusted, your start-up Macro/code will not run and I suspect (sorry, I don't use Run-time version) that you don't see the message pane asking whether to allow Macro/code to run.

Van Dinh

Monday, June 24, 2013 11:22 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  Both versions of Access 2010 are the same.  The database was designed to run on a local machine with a full install of Access.  When ran in runtime mode using the /runtime shortcut command, it opens just fine.  

I decompiled and recompiled the database.  During the recompile, it pointed out some code errors, so I fixed those codes.  The database now opens past the splash screen, but does not pull any information from any of my tables.

David

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:07 PM
  • Hi Van,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure if it is trusted location error or not.  Runtime does not inherently have trusted locations built in and will not automatically update the registry.  I've used Auto FE Update to set trusted locations and will receive the errors that I pointed out above.  I can probably go through and manually edit the registry.  I'll try this today and update the results.

David

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:09 PM
  • You should also implement error handling. See this link for more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc136539.aspx

MZ Tools has a great add-in that can help with adding error handling:

http://mztools.com/index.aspx

-- Scott McDaniel, Microsoft Access MVP

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:11 PM
  • See if the following articles help:

Configure security for Office 2010 which mentions the OCT (Office Custyomization Tool)

Office Customization Tool in Office 2010

Access Junkie: Using Access 2007 Runtime, how can I create a Trusted Location if there's no UI to create it? 
    (can't find the same article for Access 2010 but the process should be similar).

Van Dinh

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hi Van,

I used Auto FE Updater to set the trusted locations on the server.  Using a test database on the desktop, I was successfully able to bypass the warning message at the beginning.  So Trusted Locations is good to go. Database then reverts to the errors above.

David

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Since it will load now but can not see the data, that makes me wonder about the permissions on the Server. Users will need Read/Write permission on the file location in order to make changes to the underlying Tables through your Forms. See if you can open your Tables file directly without opening the FE. If you can then try editing a Record and save it. If that is working then I would recheck the \\Server\Folder\File path to make sure it is not using a mapped drive. If those are correct and the advice of others about trusted location do not work then come back and let us know. We'll consider other causes.

Thank you!

Chris Ward

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:18 PM
  • As Scott wrote earlier, you really need error-trapping structure/code in every proc if you use Access Runtime so that you can analyze the error and avoid your sudden shut-down of your database application as per your original post.

In addition to the links supplied by Scott, I have posted similar links (including link to the MZ-Tools) regarding error-trapping in the recent MSDN thread:

Runtime error on XP machines

Van Dinh

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:24 PM