Tables taking many hours to delete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I purposefully deleted some Tables from my Azure Storage account last night. This morning I ran some code that was supposed to re-create all the tables that I deleted. All the calls to CloudTableClient::CreateTableIfNotExist failed with an exception saying: 

ErrorCode:TableBeingDeleted

The specified table is being deleted. Try operation later.
    RequestId:854bc834-127a-4eff-9e82-fd39f3186e32
    Time:2013-08-10T15:54:03.2665075Z 

It has been many hours since I deleted the tables. Some of the tables contained a few entities, but many contained 1 entity or were totally empty.

Is this normal behavior? Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to delete a table? An upper bound and an average? Also, if this is a bug in Azure, could someone from Microsoft please look into it. Issues like this make me worry about the health of the whole system.

Thanks!

Saturday, August 10, 2013 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hi

I did the test with the storage explorer and reproduced the error as you described.

I then waited a couple of minutes and was able to recreate the table with the same name.

In general

Delete table should be immediate (it would take seconds to delete a table despite the size), but the problem would be that you wouldn't be able to reuse the table name since it may take a while for the contents of the table to be "garbage collected."

"Garbage collection" is typically very fast but for large tables it has been known to take up to 48 hours in the past. However, your issue is not with large tables.

Another issue that can come  up if you keep trying to use the same name, before it can be properly garbage collected, that name may be locked up within the service log and then you cannot use it unless service team manually delete it per user request. If you have more information on how to reproduce the behavior consistency that would be great. If we can reproduce the behavior it could very well be a bug. It might also be useful if it appears to be an ongoing issue with your environment to open a case to explore further. Please let me know your thoughts

Patrick McCormick (Microsoft AZure Support)

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:00 PM

All replies

• HI

I suggest you use Azure storage Explorer to check your table.

If you can operate your Azure table in the explorer, that means your codes not right.

If still can't delete then please give more details about how to repro your error here.

Thanks

Please mark post as answered if it helped!

Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:48 AM
  • Hi,

>> Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to delete a table?

From my experience, deleting a table would not take so long (usually it takes a few seconds). However, there were past reports regarding the same issue, such as http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/00d980f1-cc56-4f67-b13e-5584d99877e2/table-delete-1-day-long. In this case, I'd like to suggest you to contact our customer support on http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/options/. Choose "account holders" on that page.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:44 PM
  • I used Azure Storage Explorer to delete the tables that are taking too long to delete. To reproduce the error, just delete an entire table using Azure Storage Explorer, and then try to create the table again in your azure program.

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Hi

I did the test with the storage explorer and reproduced the error as you described.

I then waited a couple of minutes and was able to recreate the table with the same name.

In general

Delete table should be immediate (it would take seconds to delete a table despite the size), but the problem would be that you wouldn't be able to reuse the table name since it may take a while for the contents of the table to be "garbage collected."

"Garbage collection" is typically very fast but for large tables it has been known to take up to 48 hours in the past. However, your issue is not with large tables.

Another issue that can come  up if you keep trying to use the same name, before it can be properly garbage collected, that name may be locked up within the service log and then you cannot use it unless service team manually delete it per user request. If you have more information on how to reproduce the behavior consistency that would be great. If we can reproduce the behavior it could very well be a bug. It might also be useful if it appears to be an ongoing issue with your environment to open a case to explore further. Please let me know your thoughts

Patrick McCormick (Microsoft AZure Support)

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:00 PM